The Cup is gone

19 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Paul Lewis: Team NZ preparing for legal challenge over offshore America's Cup defence

Sources close to Emirates Team New Zealand say the team is preparing for a legal challenge to its proposed offshore defence of the America's Cup – and that efforts being made by a Kiwi rich-lister to raise money to hold it in Auckland are a thinly-veiled takeover attempt.

Dunphy and several backers – some of whom are reputed to be well-known New Zealanders – have been talking to the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, the holders of the Cup, pointedly bypassing Team NZ.
Now, yachting and legal sources are awash with talk of an impending legal challenge to the offshore defence, possibly in the form of an interim injunction ahead of the committed venue announcement on September 17.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/paul-lewis-team-nz-preparing-for-legal-challenge-over-offshore-americas-cup-defence/OVK2BE5IZAIUTKIHTC6ATOX2UM/

Oh good. If we are still in lockdown, there will be some good (slow moving) drama to follow in the news, other than covid. I do love the Americas cup for providing good, ongoing entertainment. Fulling the gossip columns and generally keeping the media busy.

People may lament this is not yachting, but is is 100% first class Americas Cup :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Time running out for private bid to keep America's Cup in Auckland

Dunphy won’t name who else might be ready to stump up the cash and in an hour-long interview said he would underwrite the offer. But when Stuff sought an explanation of how it would be underwritten, he moved the discussion on.

It became apparent that one or more of the original investors had withdrawn due to Dalton not being required to quit, and/or, that one or more had been interested in the dropped charitable trust element.

Dunphy repeatedly used the phrase that “team status quo (with Dalton remaining) requires a different set of donors and contributors” but would not elaborate.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/126289725/time-running-out-for-private-bid-to-keep-americas-cup-in-auckland

On 7/09/2021 at 5:40 PM, Psyche said:

Someone else needs a turn on the handlebars.

not much chance of that when you check out TNZ's shareholding

https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/582931/shareholdings?backurl=H4sIAAAAAAAAAC3LMQ7CMBQD0Ntk6dATfCEmlg5IcAErsaBS8xPyf0Dl9EQVm209zxUP2hxLrtB1JCNafJ5ySRRzaEJLwfdKofrqg4SXOJEn5Wf6EtswAekNjUxXKDfx1hkOvt%2FH0%2BS8LP9%2Bc3i3Syu9HvMPBhnbwoAAAAA%3D

just GD and his lawyer. Interesting that Stephen Tindall resigned as the other shareholder in June 21

41 minutes ago, armchairadmiral said:

Well I wish GD ,TNZ every success. It's an oldie but a goodie.....you don't know what you've got until you lose it. Tall poppie syndrome alive and well BP ? 

Au contraire Armchair.

TNZ chose to turn down the Council/Government $100m offer with a like and kind content Mark Dunfay kinda put another $80m on the table now with all the potential hosts running for the hills apart from the Evil Empire Dalton looks increasingly more of a greedy fool than a tall poppy.

Personally I would much rather see the loot and resources poured into combating the appalling world leading youth suicide rate that we have here in what used to be the home of the Cup.

• Like 1

Much as I love watching the AC spectacle and would love even more for it to be in Auck again, I’m really struggling with this one right now.

The world and everyone’s priorities are changing so fast that anyone doing the rounds with ‘cap in hand’ begging for a few more $m to stage a sporting event, just feels a bit of a folly in the current climate.

I know we just had the Olympics and it was a welcome distraction once it got underway and we’ll probably feel the same way about the next AC whenever & wherever it happens.

But it’s the way they are going about it that just feels a bit tone deaf right now…

59 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I read this and realized the Evil Empire is not the US

Jeddah?

That sailing mecca. Otherwise better known for dropping bombs on starving kids in Yemin? That evil empire?

Has all the looks of a bad starwars movie.

53 minutes ago, Priscilla II said:

Totally beyond me as to why Dalton & Co would feed from the hand of the regime that murdered this guy with impunity.

LawrenceWright-JamalKhashoggi.thumb.jpeg.779ca1ce7f50cee65b8c3b4f83b12ec4.jpeg

Yup I reckon TNZ are really testing kiwi loyalties right now. As a Brit turned NZer I’ve always avidly supported ETNZ - bought the merch - you name it. But my support is now slipping back towards Ineos Team UK…

2 hours ago, Priscilla II said:

Totally beyond me as to why Dalton & Co would feed from the hand of the regime that murdered this guy with impunity.

LawrenceWright-JamalKhashoggi.thumb.jpeg.779ca1ce7f50cee65b8c3b4f83b12ec4.jpeg

Think you forgot the torturing bit.

If they go to Jeddah, I will burn my ETNZ gear.

4 hours ago, Priscilla II said:

Au contraire Armchair.

TNZ chose to turn down the Council/Government $100m offer with a like and kind content Mark Dunfay kinda put another $80m on the table now with all the potential hosts running for the hills apart from the Evil Empire Dalton looks increasingly more of a greedy fool than a tall poppy.

Personally I would much rather see the loot and resources poured into combating the appalling world leading youth suicide rate that we have here in what used to be the home of the Cup.

Dunphy's offer was never really a concrete offer for TNZ to count on -hopefully it may still materialise and bring the bacon home but that may be wishful thinking - we will know v soon !