The Cup is gone

44 minutes ago, Fogg said:

We take the money from Chinese trade and look the other way every day.

Google what China is doing to the Uyghurs and then tell me you’ve got moral issues with Emirates.

As I said whataboutism, two wrongs do not make a right. 

48 minutes ago, Psyche said:

As I said whataboutism, two wrongs do not make a right. 

But I’m calling out the double-standard / hypocrisy that’s says “We can take trade money from China all day long but we couldn’t possibly touch the UAE’s dirty money!” Do both or neither.

But don’t do one and claim the moral high ground on the other.

13 minutes ago, Fogg said:

But I’m calling out the double-standard / hypocrisy that’s says “We can take trade money from China all day long but we couldn’t possibly touch the UAE’s dirty money!”

Who is "we"?  The business community got into bed with China and we are now for better or worse dependent on trading with them. Successive govts have pretty much always gone along with whatever business wants. 

I agree with you, it is a double standard. Personally I  don't want to be associated with team bonesaw, nor do I prefer business is done in our national name with Sheik Muhammad who appears to have kidnapped, drugged and tortured his daughters Latifa and Shamsa... 

By ‘we’ I mean the collective NZ psyche (pardon the pun! 😊) including the opinion pieces from the sanctimonious journalists & media commentators who question the ethics of the Emirates arrangement on moral grounds but daren’t write a piece challenging our relationship with China.

With the exception of Guyon Espiner and John Daniell of course, who did a great job with The Red Line podcast series.

2 hours ago, Fogg said:

By ‘we’ I mean the collective NZ psyche (pardon the pun! 😊) including the opinion pieces from the sanctimonious journalists & media commentators who question the ethics of the Emirates arrangement on moral grounds but daren’t write a piece challenging our relationship with China.

With the exception of Guyon Espiner and John Daniell of course, who did a great job with The Red Line podcast series.

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

The problem is if we disqualify every nation state that's done something shifty we end up sending our milk powder to Antarctica. 

Sounding a bit like Thatcher and Muldoon there boys.

Sports and politics do mix and 40 years ago change came to apartheid South Africa with international sports playing a pivotal part in that said change Nelson Mandela was forever grateful for the efforts of those who saw human rights abuses and stood against their  own governments positions to lend a shoulder in help to progress change.

It’s not all about the loot it maybe for Lord Dalton but he is no longer representing NZ just my pennies worth.

4 hours ago, Fogg said:

We take the money from Chinese trade and look the other way every day.

Google what China is doing to the Uyghurs and then tell me you’ve got moral issues with Emirates

And China have lifted 200 million plus out of poverty in a generation. Never happened before. Ever. Good and bad in all systems.

Back to the cup. Is the one off regatta in Cowes and the next one back in Auckland no matter who won still on the table? I quite liked that idea.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, darkside said:

And China have lifted 200 million plus out of poverty in a generation. Never happened before. Ever. Good and bad in all systems.

Yes indeed they have. Which is exactly the justification John Key uses when explaining his commercial interests in China and his close personal ties with Xi Jinping. He says they are just trying to do better like any other country. Which supports my view (and BPs) if you try to restrict yourself dealing with any state on ethical grounds you’ll end up talking to nobody.

Cowes then Auck would be great. No idea if still an option - seems unlikely though.

23 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Not sure who gave you the one off then back here idea DS that has never been on offer.

Sail World W. But you may have better sources

Union Jack Match

The suggestion of a single Challenger Defence against INEOS Team UK to be sailed in Southern England got some airplay in the latter stages of the 36th Match.

For it happen it would seem there would need to be an agreement between the two teams that the 38th Match would have to be sailed in Auckland, as there seems to be little point in running a short-cycled match when there would normally be a three to four year interval. Of course, there is the prospect that if the Brits pulled off a fairytale win, that the Kiwis would be a Challenger back in the return Match, in Auckland - which would certainly ignite local interest.

With budget caps on F1 teams in place next year look for a bit more money being "diverted" to AC teams -not just Ineos , and maybe some old players to return if held in Western Europe. If the AC team is paying you it doesnt look like you are working on an F1 project ........

Best thing would have been to confirm Auckland at the end of the last cup and built on the momentum plus giving confidence to set a campaign around.

Not a good way to get anyone to commit when not even the host club knows what’s going to happen 

• Upvote 2