The Cup is gone

Well, it could be in Cork which wouldnt be too bad as the Irish are a great bunch of lads!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/127009957/new-deadline-for-americas-cup-venue

or it could be in Emiriates backyard or maybe even in the cup holders own city of Auckland. Makes me wonder at whats going on in the money games because thats all its about I would imagine.

As part of cost-containment measures, crews will be reduced from 11 sailors to eight for this next cycle and further one-design components will be introduced.

We are on the way to fully automated pumping/controls, why not just have a helm and a tactitian?

Cost containment is laughable, and said in the same sentence each challenger has to build two large hydrogen fuelled tenders !!! The womens series and youth thing are all old hat, admit that you can sail them with three people and get on with naming the venue -then we will see who does ,does not turn up. 

Go the Kiwi home defence -keep needling "Dalts" and hope the squadron wake up.

Special General Meeting announced to follow the AGM that hasnt been had, A pity the CEO has announced the RNZYS position is to sell the cup offshore to Grants highest bidder before the members have even had a chance to vote on it !!

Just now, waikiore said:

Special General Meeting announced to follow the AGM that hasnt been had, A pity the CEO has announced the RNZYS position is to sell the cup offshore to Grants highest bidder before the members have even had a chance to vote on it !!

Maybe time for RNZYS to tell Dalts where to shove the cup and walk away from any it. Dalts is only looking after his bank balance.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, chariot said:

Alinghi back in and Burling and Tuke haven't signed on with Dalts yet. 

Prolly holding back to see how much they are worth, hell if it meant a pay check where you wouldn’t have work too hard the rest of your life…….

Teams would be willing to have a bidding war over that sort of talent a la Coutts and Butterworth……

Burling and Tuke couldn't sail for any of the major teams due to the new Nationality requirements. They could join an "Emerging Nation" team but these are at the discretion on ETNZ and I'd hazard a guess that would be vetoed. I'd say they are weighing up AC vs Olympics. 

I see Dalton claiming in the Herald that ETNZ may have to go into liquidation if forced to defend here in New Zealand.

Perhaps that could be a good pathway to hand over the ETNZ assets at a realistic value to some group that wants the next cup sailed in Auckland?

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

Is the reason they can't hold it in Auckland, because they have given away the 26 brand new chase boats?

https://www.coastguard.nz/news-media/coastguard-great-barrier-first-unit-to-receive-new-4unz-vessel/

Should they have held onto them a bit longer?

They were the course Marshel boats, always belonged to CG, just on loan to AC for the event 

• Like 1

The strangest utterance repeated twice in one current  media release by ETNZ to Squadron members is that those who question 'Daltons Way' are threatening to tear the 150 year old club apart ? Surely it is the opposite -they are just querying what is not known by the members ie the deal with Ineos and all that entails ..... 

SGM meeting now pulled according to the Herald as Mr Dalton was offering to close ETNZ down if he was forced to sail here. There is a lot the public dont know.... about the agreements entered into with the challenger of record.

The sailing side sounds great -less crew lighter boats-earlier foiling wider foil spacing, one starting software for all teams, less spying, info to be shared to all teams on each others practicing. That Bernasconi is indeed a clever fellow.

I dont think Kiwi yachties in general would mind Matteo getting a pay out this time around-after all he funded a lot when no one else would, but they are wary of Grant topping up his retirement fund then saying sorry we lost anyway goodbye.

• Upvote 1

No one outside yachting will notice or even care that much if they do. It's such an odd pursuit, carefully marketed to cultivate an association with average NZers but in reality its a competition between extremely wealthy individuals who couldnt give a hoot about nationalism, red socks or whatever unless it provided financial relief! Dalton is doing his job which is to extract as much money from whoever to achieve his goals, be it the Govt (you and me) or the Saudi's or the Frackers- the source of funds does not matter, nor does the location of the event. 

For me personally the gloss has come off, not because of the money or Dalton but the because its reverting to type where it becomes exclusive just for the uber rich whereas for a time the regattas from Perth to our unsuccessful defence in 2003 had huge participation and were loads of fun. The advent of foiling and the cats, while a tech marvel did nothing for me as far as the sailing goes and the last defence was as dull as dishwater if you ignored "foiling"

Good luck to Dalts, he has done an amazing job but I dont follow the drama just like I dont watch daytime soap operas because in the end its like sands though the hour glass...:)