Jump to content

The Cup is gone


Recommended Posts

Yes the squadron sending out Team Dalton press releases now, how embarrassing for them to be tied into his scheme, he has his cup and he is taking it to his new friend in the UK. That is why any local funding has been poo pooed by Grant since June.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2021 at 10:18 PM, Editor said:

Just reposting this from the first page , still relevant and I reckon it’s why Mr Tindall stepped down a couple of weeks before the offshore announcement 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure what the surprise is here. Like any other ‘big bucks sport’ it attracts the egotistical billionaires who rub shoulders with various corporate sponsors.

But what I do know is that before NZ gets too puritanical about whether or not it is prepared to accept the sponsorship dollars of people with “dubious human rights records”, maybe we should clean up our own act first - like drag ourselves up out of the bottom of the global league tables for abysmal rates of child abuse / child poverty / child healthcare / education.
 

And maybe then we would earn the right to start pointing fingers at other countries & companies who “could do better”.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

No taxpayers money and take NZ out of the name (Team Emirates), then they can do whatever they want.

Why the removal of NZ from the name? They are a NZ-based team!

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are a privately owned and operated organization that hires and fires internationally.   That they are based in NZ is mostly historical accident. 

It may be old fashioned but i think if someone is going to say they represent NZ there should be a selection process open to all. That includes the Olympics  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a selection process. It's a self-selection process whereby anyone who thinks they have enough money and can bring together the right talent could launch a 2nd challenge out of NZ. The reality is that nobody else has.

On your rationale, every other team in the event would become nationality-agnostic regardless of where they hail from.

Look at the recent Olympics in which Russia was officially banned so they entered as ROC (Russian Olympic Committee). Everyone knew who they were and where they were from.

And what is to be gained from that? Why would that make you feel so much better?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fogg said:

 

On your rationale, every other team in the event would become nationality-agnostic regardless of where they hail from.

This is the case. As it is for most professional sports these days. Which is why I take little to zero interest in professional sports. 

In the vernacular it's all a giant wankfest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm less hysterical about the use of the "NZ" brand.

There are many other more questionable places and contexts that where "NZ" appears around the world! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fogg said:

I’m not sure what the surprise is here. Like any other ‘big bucks sport’ it attracts the egotistical billionaires who rub shoulders with various corporate sponsors.

But what I do know is that before NZ gets too puritanical about whether or not it is prepared to accept the sponsorship dollars of people with “dubious human rights records”, maybe we should clean up our own act first - like drag ourselves up out of the bottom of the global league tables for abysmal rates of child abuse / child poverty / child healthcare / education.
 

And maybe then we would earn the right to start pointing fingers at other countries & companies who “could do better”.

Whataboutism deflects from choices moving forward. Sure we can improve on many social, environmental and health related metrics but I think this is a valid question. Do we align with Emirates https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2021/country-chapters/united-arab-emirates or do we look the other way and take the money?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fogg said:

I'm less hysterical about the use of the "NZ" brand.

There are many other more questionable places and contexts that where "NZ" appears around the world! 

Team NZ is a stroke of marketing genius. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder Blakes take on this would of been??

Agree with BP,its not Team NZ,its team Dalton and whos got the $$. Wonder how many in the team are thnking."we ae out of here""??

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Do we align with Emirates https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2021/country-chapters/united-arab-emirates or do we look the other way and take the money?

We take the money from Chinese trade and look the other way every day.

Google what China is doing to the Uyghurs and then tell me you’ve got moral issues with Emirates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Wonder Blakes take on this would of been??

Agree with BP,its not Team NZ,its team Dalton and whos got the $$. Wonder how many in the team are thnking."we ae out of here""??

Yes but again I don’t care.

I care more about NZ’s international brand.

Remember that 99% of the global spectators who will (hopefully) watch a fast / sexy / innovative / successful boat with “NZ” branded all over it, are totally oblivious to the inner machinations of the latest Dalton-Dunphy games. All they will see is another slick looking performance from a boat & crew branded “NZ”.
 

That’s more important to me than the small details of ‘who said what to whom’ over the previous few years bitching leading up to race-day!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly doesn't help the cup with all its he said she said, throwing of toys out of the cot. When one is seeking funding for a minority sport. They need to get that little old lady from GORE onboard. All she can see is a bunch of rich pricks fighting over a bit of silver.

But that is all part of the AC shenanigan's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...