Jorgensen boats

I have now setup a new website www.jorgensenboats.nz - a repository for all things relating specifically to boats built by Jorgensen and Sons of Waikawa Bay, Picton.

As owner of Peter (Pop) Jorgensen’s yacht Stormbird I am fascinated by and admire Jorgensen boats and I would like their history to be preserved in a publicly accessible form.

I am asking around for anyone connected to the yard by way of the people that worked there and past and present boat owners to contact me so I can include their information - pictures, anecdotes, technical information, refurbishment notes, present whereabouts of the boats etc.  Contact details are on the website or PM

• Upvote 1

Slightly off, but related. Who owns the old wharf at the old yard now and is it still usable, or is it closed off. I note that the Shed is still there, but the area nearer the road now has new Homes built on it.
With Wharf access with deep water being limited in the Bay, I have always wondered if Jorgensons Wharf was still usable.

I used to be in the Chandlery game back in the days when the yard was operating. The guy I worked for was related to Pop. Thinking back, Picton was a thriving Boat building industry. So many businesses no longer existing now.

As I understand, it was purchased by the developer. If you buy a section in the development, it comes with the right to access and use the wharf, which they have done a significant amount of work to repair. 

I think there is also a council bylaw that says anyone is allowed to load / unload passengers onto any private wharf. If you were to do that onto the x Jorgies wharf, you’d have to walk down the beach to the road, as you wouldn’t be allowed access across the private land that was the yard. 

On 21/06/2021 at 12:35 PM, mattm said:

As I understand, it was purchased by the developer. If you buy a section in the development, it comes with the right to access and use the wharf, which they have done a significant amount of work to repair. 

I think there is also a council bylaw that says anyone is allowed to load / unload passengers onto any private wharf. If you were to do that onto the x Jorgies wharf, you’d have to walk down the beach to the road, as you wouldn’t be allowed access across the private land that was the yard. 

Matt - any subdivision of land adjoing the CMA should have/ would have required the setting aside of a suitable esplanade reserve above MHWS.  Would be interesting to see the subdivision title plan.