Race start signal horn

What are the clubs using as start boat horns? Loud haulers? Chrome horns? 

Anyone know of a club using something a bit smarter in terms of automatic 5, 4, 1 go signals? Such as the Autohoot, sailbot, Ollie Horn or Regatta Pro Start? 

I’m trying to find the best option for a new boat being built for the club I belong to. It would be nice to find a locally available option for automated tooting. 

Shy of importing something from the US or EU, or making a tone generator for a loud hailer myself, it’s hard to see a good option, other than just a pair of horns and a button. 

If there’s nothing around, would there be much interest from clubs in getting something suitable & cost effective made or imported?

Thanks DP. So it’s as simple as the horn toots when the button is pressed?

Yes HT, but my task isn’t related to what ‘real sailors’ might do. It’s to find a new horn / horn system for the new boat. Sound signals are quite useful, and I’d like the system used to be both loud, thus clearly audible from a distance, in a breeze, and no more taxing on the committee boat crew than reasonably necessary 👍

• Upvote 1

My club uses an aerosol can horn, seems to work ok.

But here is a variation for a thought. We are required to keep a VHF listening watch while racing, usually 77 I think, both in fully crewed and short handed. This is a safety requirement following a MOB incident last winter that could have easily gone pear shaped (other boats racing near by didn't realise there was a man in the water, just that boat A had done a big broach...)

So, you want a horn all can hear, at a distance, and in a breeze? Play it over the VHF. If you have a requirement for a listening watch for safety, this is a very good way to make people listen. No actual horn, just vhf horn.

Hey Matt:

i have a 12v horn set up similar to DPs photo which I would be happy to donate to Your club. Had it from when I was doing RO duties a couple years ago.

it has a push button as well as 2 handheld remotes to activate the horn.

give me a PM if interested

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Y88 5241 said:

Hey Matt:

i have a 12v horn set up similar to DPs photo which I would be happy to donate to Your club. Had it from when I was doing RO duties a couple years ago.

it has a push button as well as 2 handheld remotes to activate the horn.

give me a PM if interested

Interested in the setup and of  “remotes “ 

did you make it yourself ? 

3 hours ago, 44forty said:

Interested in the setup and of  “remotes “ 

did you make it yourself ? 

Yes made it myself, I’ll get a photo when I can. Has a remote receiver wired in to activate horn. 

On the good boat "Wakatere" (Wakatere Boating Club) was set up with a foot button for the horn which allowed 2 hands free for the flags, the boat was very well setup for single handed starting sequences.

Give BBYC a call. They have a self contained box with a battery powered airhorn & a timer which automatically sounds on 5/4/1/0 & then rolls in to the next start.

Here at GHYC we have an automatic horn controlled from the app (starttimerapp.com) on the phone, that also gives voice cues on what actions need to be done and countdown. I also made a battery-powered box for the horn based on the same automatic controller.

As for the horn itself - those automotive ones above seem to be a good value. Pure electric ones are not very loud.

Disclaimer: I make both the app and the horn controller.

P.S. the app is only released for iOS, but the Android version is available in beta. Contact me if you want to give it a go.

Remote Horn Portable - Small.jpg

• Upvote 1
On 8/07/2021 at 7:21 PM, jagor said:

Here at GHYC we have an automatic horn controlled from the app (starttimerapp.com) on the phone, that also gives voice cues on what actions need to be done and countdown. I also made a battery-powered box for the horn based on the same automatic controller.

As for the horn itself - those automotive ones above seem to be a good value. Pure electric ones are not very loud.

Disclaimer: I make both the app and the horn controller.

P.S. the app is only released for iOS, but the Android version is available in beta. Contact me if you want to give it a go.

Remote Horn Portable - Small.jpg

I purchased Jagor's remote horn relay and set it up yesterday. Works so well. I can Bluetooth to the boats stereo so that the countdowns are loud and clear to the race crew and the horn goes all by itself. Magic!!!

I haven't set it up with a battery as I only intend to use it in my fizz boat but there is room to do so if I want. 

37816218-0E64-4178-A0B4-1F5C3378F532.jpeg