Where do we find the new non fishing exclusion zones?

An unusual bit of publicity this-as there is very little commercial trawling in the Gulf for years, still I wish to know where I am allowed to fish?

Why did they not copy parts of the UK where oyster dredging has limited licences and must be carried out under sail !

I would fully back a ban on fishing from any powered craft in the inner gulf, would suit me perfectly

Of course the discrepancy  between the commercial size and the recreational size hasnt been addressed.

Does anyone know what a 'sea floor area' zone means, or High protection area?

I thought it was very odd that all the media banged on about 18 new marine protected areas, but none said where they are. I had to find the report and read it.

I'd far prefer if all of those areas where just made full marine reserves.

I'm concerned a sea floor protection area just means no dredging or bottom trawling, where there is very little of that still happening, is there?  Its kind of a smoke a mirrors thing from the govt "we are doing lots" when they aren't really. Big area of concern for me, the CEO of Sanfords says he is happy with the proposals. That really rings alarm bells. If the CEO of Sanfords is happy, I smell a rat...

PS, wonder if we can still anchor in a sea floor protection area? Sea grass etc is a valuable habitat..

18 minutes ago, Fish said:

Does anyone know what a 'sea floor area' zone means, or High protection area?

I thought it was very odd that all the media banged on about 18 new marine protected areas, but none said where they are. I had to find the report and read it.

I'd far prefer if all of those areas where just made full marine reserves.

I'm concerned a sea floor protection area just means no dredging or bottom trawling, where there is very little of that still happening, is there?  Its kind of a smoke a mirrors thing from the govt "we are doing lots" when they aren't really. Big area of concern for me, the CEO of Sanfords says he is happy with the proposals. That really rings alarm bells. If the CEO of Sanfords is happy, I smell a rat...

PS, wonder if we can still anchor in a sea floor protection area? Sea grass etc is a valuable habitat..

The concern is 3 more yrs till they put cameras on.

Talking to a trawler guy and he said they have certain trawl lines they follow,up and down that line week in week out,if the net is or has removed/damaged the seabed why are the fish still? Not defending them but is the info we are getting correct, Blaming commercial scallopers in mercury bay/opito bay for lack of scallops when they have been banned for 5 or so yrs.Now the report came out blaming what we have been doing on the land,which is something i have said for awile.releasing heavy metals/silt and the seafood dies or moves off..

11 hours ago, Fish said:

I would have thought half the problem was the millions of recreational fisho's catching all the snapper, so the kina go nuts and destroy the eco-system.

Has happened at the mokohinaus . It’s no longer the last frontier out there , the place gets hammered every weekend by boats large and small . Hell I know of one spearo  that used to go out there in a 12ft blackdog cat with 50hp tiller steer . Like most contractors , tradies etc he has upgraded to a bigger boat gets there quicker and takes some mates too .

The new blokey boys trip to do is Pandora bank in a tinny , a large one . The king bank is so yesterday so feck knows where the next big trip destination will be ?  Just outside the kermadecs reserve ? 

2 hours ago, Sail Rock said:

Too many fishermen, continuing advances in technology and too few fish (which don’t stand a chance). 

plenty of fish if you like snapper,we are trying to target jd and gurnard but cant get past the snapper.

On 24/06/2021 at 7:41 AM, 44forty said:

The new blokey boys trip to do is Pandora bank in a tinny , a large one . The king bank is so yesterday so feck knows where the next big trip destination will be ?  Just outside the kermadecs reserve ? 

Pandora Bank?! In a tinny?! Where do they launch from?