Anyone here have a Boat Repainted in Fiji, how did that go for you?

We have a 12.2 meter Trimaran we need to have a complete repaint done on. We got quoted an astronomical $85,000 locally in New Zealand.

So...  We are now looking at doing the work in Fiji. We would  remove and replace all the deck hardware and deck 'structures' but leave the prep work and paint to a contractor. 

Anyone have any experience doing this in Fiji?

Thanks, John

IMG_E2468.JPG

10 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Shop around.  The variations I  got in prices were insne. Definitely call Carla at Hibiscus Marine  coatings. 

If all else fails I'm told the guy at Vuda Pt is highly skilled. 

Thanks BP,

We got a second quote from a local contractor but it's still the better part of a years income at $47,000.  I'm truly not feeling encouraged...  considering we are stripping and replacing all the hardware.  I've contacted Vuda marine but have not yet heard back from them... it seems several people paint in that facility?

There is a fellow with the first name "Willy" who set-up uin Fiji about 22 years ago and is very skilled... I don't have any contact info...?

Hi 2flit, I googled "boat painter in fiji willie" and came up with a few boat blogs that named Willie as doing a great job. Maybe send the bloggers a message thru their blogs and ask for Willies details - they may still have them?

• Upvote 1

I understand there can be massive variances in costs in NZ due to the 'non-painting' factors, i.e. hardstand, shed, removing rig, riggers etc. Often costs charged by the marina hardstand area go on top of the painters costs, and the actual labour amount is low.

We did a full repaint, used the club shed (at club rates), did all the prep (sanding, filling etc) ourselves and got a pro to do the top coats. At the prices you are talking about, it may be cost effective to truck your boat somewhere and paint it there. I.e. a random industrial building or farm shed. It is most likely highly effective for you to do a fair bit of the prep as well. You may become awfully motivated to get an orbital sander and hang off it on your weekends instead of paying $60 / $80/hr for someone else to do it.

Shaun Rowe did our painting. I understand he is mobile, and doesn't have his own shed etc It may be worth talking to him.

Roweboat Painters – Just another WordPress site

2 hours ago, Fish said:

At the prices you are talking about, it may be cost effective to truck your boat somewhere and paint it there.

Hey Fish, ... That's just it... these prices are jaw dropping out of the ball park too expensive for us and we can't spend this kind of money on the repaint. I think that I am strictly asking about Fiji (or another labor cost effective country). New Zealand has basically ruled itself out for this particular job and moving an 8+ meter wide trimaran around the countryside just is not in the cards.🙃

I believe you will get a reasonable job done in Fiji at a better price

Ive known of work done that wasn’t up to NZ standards there by a fairly large margin

You would want a fixed price and time line, “Island time” can be a real issue and if your paying for hardstand on top plus accomodation, things often take twice as long. Friends had a rudder built in Denarau, by an outfit based in Veda, that took twice as long as it would in NZ plus they then found that they weren’t able to live aboard plus the workmanship was so bad it was scrapped and a new one built when they got home. I can’t remember the actual numbers but it was something like 50k for the work in Fiji but the replacement one in NZ was like 15k for the whole job. Don’t quote me, this was about 7 years ago and my memory’s not perfect 

Hibiscus Marine Coatings are reasonable. They quoted 25k for Island Time. I’ve had other quotes up to 80 odd.

it is a lot of work to do properly. Haul out is a big issue. To be sure of a time frame, a shed is needed, or a frame and wrap. Unless you can find a waterfront property with suitable beach, and friendly owner (with a tractor), build a trailer, and do it all yourself (maybe hire a painter if spraying, just to paint after prep is done) it will be difficult to do on a budget.

Can I ask why you are repainting? If it is to sell the boat, no point spending money on a poor outcome.

We knew our boat needed a repaint before we set off on a 5 year cruise. I touched it up with single pack with a brush and didn't have to get too worried about the odd canoe bumping up against the hull or whatever.

It cost us $50k or thereabouts to paint it at Robertson's when we got back, but that was 2005

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

Hibiscus Marine Coatings are reasonable. They quoted 25k for Island Time. I’ve had other quotes up to 80 odd.

it is a lot of work to do properly. Haul out is a big issue. To be sure of a time frame, a shed is needed, or a frame and wrap. Unless you can find a waterfront property with suitable beach, and friendly owner (with a tractor), build a trailer, and do it all yourself (maybe hire a painter if spraying, just to paint after prep is done) it will be difficult to do on a budget.

Is the time frame issue as related to having a 'shed' an issue with rainfall and/or morning condensation (we have only spent time in French Polynesia and Tonga where this is not such a big issue) We are able to leave the boat there and have them take allot of time but the hard stand rates I see are very high in Vuda... otherwise we would not mind if it took a long time (say even three months to complete).

We are 100% sure we don't want to do any prep work other than stripping/unbolting  ALL of the deck gear.

15 minutes ago, darkside said:

Can I ask why you are repainting? If it is to sell the boat, no point spending money on a poor outcome.

We knew our boat needed a repaint before we set off on a 5 year cruise. I touched it up with single pack with a brush and didn't have to get too worried about the odd canoe bumping up against the hull or whatever.

It cost us $50k or thereabouts to paint it at Robertson's when we got back, but that was 2005

We are repainting for ourselves, plan to have the trimaran for over another ten years.

I'm already into the spot repair zone of topside paint life. It's time to do the entire job over. The paint is 20 years old and getting thin and ready to morph into a HUGE job if we don't get after it in the next couple years. 

Typically you should expect to pay about $55/m2 for preparation and paint (two coats). Unfortunately a trimaran has a lot of square meters. haulage and hard stand on top sometimes. Marlborough Shipwrights, Havelock (south island) did an awesome job on my brothers catamaran.

cheers

I have seen a smaller tri being repainted locally, it took forever and absorbed a ridiculous amount  of man hours and that was with all fittings off and the owner doing the prep. In observing and chatting to the painter I was humbled by his depth of experience and knowledge, he was highly skilled. In stating so emphatically that you don't want to do the prep (and neither would I :-) ) you seem to be  acknowledging the scale of the job in terms of time, planning, materials and skill . So bundling all that up 45K seems remarkable value for money, just be careful you don't go too cheap its an investment for the next decade. 

17 hours ago, marinheiro said:

or maybe the Milford Slipway

I think the trimaran would be too wide for Milford. Probably wouldn't squeeze through the pedestrian bridge.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, ex Elly said:

I think the trimaran would be too wide for Milford. Probably wouldn't squeeze through the pedestrian bridge.

had not thought about that, really is threading the needle

image.png.66bf765f27d7bd1dc2cc4b6a74b913e9.png

• Upvote 1

If you're looking at soon I'd be a bit wary of covid associated risks. Could easily end up with things changing in Fiji, a lockdown blowing out time frames, border closures making it not possible to come and go etc.