Cat 2 - Storm Coverings

13.11 (K) Storm coverings shall be fitted for all windows more than 1852cm2 in area. 

Required Cat 1,2. Recommend Cat 3.

Although the 2017 - 2020 rules this was REQUIRED 1,2 AND 3.

Carpe Diem has had 4 Cat 3 certificates and never had storm coverings or even been quizzed about this? 

Am I misinterpreting this requirement? How do other boats meet this? 

• Upvote 1
Just now, DoT said:

Do you have a single window larger than 1852 square cm?

I'm guessing your middle window is close but deliberately under this size.

I am totally surprised at how small this measurement is. I had always assumed that I did not need storm coverings because my windows couldn't possibly be larger than 1852cm2... cause in 8 years of Cat3 certs it had never come up. 

I am replacing my 'smallest' window and the internal measurement is approximately 85x24cm that's ~2000cm2.

We don't have big windows. Smaller than the Hanse next too us, no bigger than a young 11, probably the exact same size as a 1050....

I'm picking its a pragmatic estimate.

the 1852cm2 measure derives from the old 2 square foot, which itself is probably some old bugger's guesstimate of what the capability of glass at the time was.

2000cm2 is so close, and materials so much better these days...

19 minutes ago, Kick Ass said:

On the 1050 they aren't full size as per how it looks on the outside as the glass is supported with a divider (don't know the technical term) from the inside.

Oh OK. So the divider on the inside makes it two windows instead of one, even though it's one piece of acrylic/glass. 

I had interpreted window as the single piece of glass covering. 

That's OK then, panic over :)

• Like 1

I’ve worked on a few boats that did the divided window mod and all got their certs. Pretty sure I will need to do it on my townson also. Does anyone have any advice on set up and design of emergency rudder?

31 minutes ago, Shimmer said:

Does anyone have any advice on set up and design of emergency rudder?

Drogue/spinnaker bag with lines through blocks on the beam and bought to the aft winches. I was actually surprised at how well this worked when we practiced it. 

Most of the wheel steered syd/hob boats have a carbon fibre moulded rudder with pintels attached to the stern ready to have it clipped in place. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Changed said:

I use a cassette on the transom with a drop in blade. The jockey pole is the tiller. You can borrow it if you would like.

Any chance of a picture at some stage? I'm thinking of a similar setup, would love to see one already done.

19 hours ago, Changed said:

I use a cassette on the transom with a drop in blade. The jockey pole is the tiller. You can borrow it if you would like.

Keen to see that too !   Outboards qualify as emergency steering but I would far rather have a rudder .

To get Cat 2 or above all you need is to show you have an alternative steering plan, this can include warps, drouge etc.

Many of the yachts that do the likes of RNI etc want an easy replacement that the can keep racing with, even if it’s at reduced speeds, as a lot of effort goes into these events and being stuck halfway around isn’t a great option 

Some like Changed above bolt a cassette to gudgeons on the stern and have a simple foil stored under the quarter berth that drops in and the likes of the whisper pole is used as the tiller. So have the gudgeons bolted on then the foil has the other half ready to attach, this second option could be very tricky in a small boat in big seas. But this all comes down to what you believe is acceptable risk.

As for storm coverings we split the window size on a yacht we took to Fiji a while ago by just bolting an aluminium strap with rubber backing  vertically to halve the window area 

Prawn Broker sailed with a drogue through Cook Straight and tacked up the harbour into the finish line at Wellington in a RNI

It can be done , but not sure I’d like to do it in the 50kt zephyr they had last time

Mine is very simple. Its all built from E glass. Two gudgeons bolted to the transom. In longer races I bolt the cassette onto the stern. The plan, if it was to be used is to simply drop the board down the cassette. Trying to get a pintle pin through two holes in a seaway, lying on your stomach on the cockpit floor  isn't something I was planning for. When your steering fails the solution needs to be simple, quick, require minimal physical exertion and work! Haven't got pic but you're welcome to view.