Ocean crossing

8 hours ago, Capella said:

Yeah that's comforting. I'm pretty sure they are covered so hopefully mine are more than 80% as well. I guess the only way to check is take them off and put a load cell on them and if happy then put back on?

Ideally you need to find the exact age of the rigging - taking them off for a load test and potentially refitting or then finding out they have degraded then needing to get new ones made just adds to the cost and time involved for the exercise

19 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yeah I hear you. Do you know roughly what loads are generated when rigs usually fail? Is there a common weakest link?

Sorry I have now reread that, I was thinking "life lines" when you said "side stays" not your mast shrouds. 

They may not be 'rediculously oversized' at 60% loss.  Multihulls rigs can generate enormous shock forces. But as you say they are probably not 60% loss because they are covered.

Now that I understand you're talking about your mast I would be ascertaining the age of the rigging and engaging a rigging professional. 

8 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Even at 60% loss they are rediculously oversized.

You could hang four fully laden Toyota Land Cruisers off them and still not break the line.  I suspect your deck fittings would rip off well before you got the fourth land cruiser hooked up. 

For a 100kg human to break the line would require a fall so significant that, (assuming your harness was strong enough), it would rip you apart before you broke a 12000kg line.

I thought the whole point of setting up your rigging correctly is to ensure that if the rig is overloaded and ‘wants’ to drop the weakest link is your standing rigging not the boat? In other words the mast can fall without ripping your boat apart too? Hence when I’ve explored upgrading or ‘oversizing’ my rigging I’ve always been advised against it by pro riggers.

8 hours ago, Fogg said:

I thought the whole point of setting up your rigging correctly is to ensure that if the rig is overloaded and ‘wants’ to drop the weakest link is your standing rigging not the boat? In other words the mast can fall without ripping your boat apart too? Hence when I’ve explored upgrading or ‘oversizing’ my rigging I’ve always been advised against it by pro riggers.

Yep and on our cat either the rig falling over or the boat tipping over is kind of coin toss once the load gets to that point. Maybe why the resident engineer gets a bit edgy when half the rudder is out of the water?

14 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Sorry I have now reread that, I was thinking "life lines" when you said "side stays" not your mast shrouds. 

They may not be 'rediculously oversized' at 60% loss.  Multihulls rigs can generate enormous shock forces. But as you say they are probably not 60% loss because they are covered.

Now that I understand you're talking about your mast I would be ascertaining the age of the rigging and engaging a rigging professional. 

Haha yeah was scratching my head when you said if I fell on it. Sorry I should have said shrouds. I think I'll get a rigger to check it out once I'm up there

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Bad Kitty said:

Yep and on our cat either the rig falling over or the boat tipping over is kind of coin toss once the load gets to that point. Maybe why the resident engineer gets a bit edgy when half the rudder is out of the water?

I guess if a catamaran tips over you definitely want the rig to collapse