So the radio tells me the guy who died north of Cape Brett could have been ok.

The water came inside and popped the windows out.

Rules have now been changed so windows above a certain size need to be covered. 

All this we knew a long time ago.

What are the rule changes? Didn't windows above a certain size need covers since all my life?

Since they popped out due to internal pressure would that have even helped?

Is this typical bureaucratic nonsense that tells us nothing and achieves nothing?

Or is there more to the report that the radio isn't telling me?

Oh yeah, what took so long?

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

So the radio tells me the guy who died north of Cape Brett could have been ok.

The water came inside and popped the windows out.

Rules have now been changed so windows above a certain size need to be covered. 

All this we knew a long time ago.

What are the rule changes? Didn't windows above a certain size need covers since all my life?

Since they popped out due to internal pressure would that have even helped?

Is this typical bureaucratic nonsense that tells us nothing and achieves nothing?

Or is there more to the report that the radio isn't telling me?

Oh yeah, what took so long?

The report tells it how it happened, based on my discussions with Pam Pedersen and the wife of tone of the other crew members. 

I had been in regular email contact with Pam and Stu prior to their departure as they had found me a crew member for my passage back from New Cal. I believe their departure date was to some extent set by the arrival of their crew. Riada and several other yachts had left Fiji the previous week and had a fast if bumpy passage with an easterly wind pattern.

When i saw on their tracker they had departed Fiji I had a look at the weather during the period of their passage and it was quite clear just from Windy that there was some ugly weather forecast close to NZ. My opinion is they did not receive good weather advice. When I sailed from New Cal I used Bruce Buckley from Australia and his info was spot on.

Re storm coverings, until the rule change they only had to be carried, not  fitted. If they had been fitted to Essence, they probably would not have stopped the windows popping but they would have obviously significantly reduced the open area for water to enter. remember also the forard hatch had come open , that would have been 60 x 60cm so would have let alot of water in.

A tragic loss

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

Re storm coverings, until the rule change they only had to be carried, not  fitted. If they had been fitted to Essence, they probably would not have stopped the windows popping but they would have obviously significantly reduced the open area for water to enter. remember also the forard hatch had come open , that would have been 60 x 60cm so would have let alot of water in.

Previously 

image.png.82fe5041634fbb3790a8f015e619c955.png

As of 2021

image.png.6dfc6822f01fb327ae49abb823eca280.png

image.png