Sailing La Vagabonde

Have followed La Vagabonde on and off for a few years. Their stats are impressive by any standard. Coming up 7 Years, 2 kids now, 70,000 miles, 1.6 million subscribers on You Tube, half a million views per episode, 6000 subscribers on Patreon. As someone said in a previous post they are to upmarket now for the average yachty. Take Patreon, subscribing per episodes is from $3 to $200, so say average of $5 and an episode every 2 weeks thats $30.000 a fortnight.  And no I have never been a Patreon to anyone, to miserable for that. They can sure play the internet, they put in the work so good on them I say. What is pathetic is some of the followers and their criticizing  comments. A few months from the beginning some were saying Riley and Elaynas  relationship wont last, there were big cracks in it and Elayna will soon see the light and bugger off! Then the idea they had wealthy  parents supporting there lifestyle took a while to go away. some left when they started endorsing yacht products,  and when a professional camera person was used at times. And the classic ,Just because Elayna could sail, dive, spear fish and cook they thought she some kind of Godess, for Gods sake, these following guys are pathetic. Living their life through someone else adventures.  Anyway the latest news is Riley and Elayna were in the Gulf recently test sailing a Rapida 60 carbon Tri. The orders in and the plan is to go to Vietnam for the build. Good luck.   

^its actually a huge skillset and quite a commitment - like most reality tv, its a business not a lifestyle.  For every La Vagabonde there is a trail of wannabe's who don't have what it takes and disappear after 5 episodes.

I'm like you, I totally admire those who pull it off.

• Upvote 1

Likewise I gave up watching them years ago. The whole sailing vlog thing has become a saturated market with so many boringly average couples cruising the world in comfort all “oooohing” & “ahhhhing” at the same things (dolphins / snorkelling / sunsets / views from their latest bush walk / unexpected rough passage etc etc). I prefer to watch the oddballs and outliers who have a totally different perspective on things.

If I ever went cruising I wouldn’t dream of trying to do a vlog myself - it would be far too boring and average and besides I’d prefer to enjoy the experience myself rather than trying to spend time editing movies for others to enjoy my experience!

• Upvote 2

Have enjoyed watching Sailing Parlay Revival's channel while they've been dealing with a bulkhead issue in his cat. Thought he carried himself through a challenging situation from both technical & political perspectives rather well - and he's a Kiwi! :-)

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Dagwood said:

Have enjoyed watching Sailing Parlay Revival's channel while they've been dealing with a bulkhead issue in his cat. Thought he carried himself through a challenging situation from both technical & political perspectives rather well - and he's a Kiwi! :-)

Agreed, it's my new favorite as well. 

I prefer the boat building/restorations over the pleasure seekers.  
Parlay’s been fun during the rebuild and bulkhead issue. 
Ross in Aus is a good watch.SV Seeker is interesting. 
Acorn to Arabella has been good but I think they are now slowing down to make the thrill last longer. 
Leo rebuilding the Tally Ho has been very informative. 

I’ve learned heaps that I didn’t know about how boats go together from watching these. 

• Upvote 1

Recent NZ arrivals Gone with the Wynns are on a catamaran are on youtube.

They had an interesting trip down from Tonga.

Lost a life raft that left a good size hole in the cockpit floor and some window damage as well. All in pretty benign conditions.

45 minutes ago, Elliot749 said:

Sam Holmes Sailing channel

The Sailing Brothers channel 

Both  actually feature a lot of sailing without the T and A of other channels 

Yep. Enjoy the Sailibg brothers. Very laid back. 

• Upvote 1
On 27/07/2021 at 6:22 PM, darkside said:

Recent NZ arrivals Gone with the Wynns are on a catamaran are on youtube.

They had an interesting trip down from Tonga.

Lost a life raft that left a good size hole in the cockpit floor and some window damage as well. All in pretty benign conditions.

I actually quite like their channel! Although it does make me sad that I’ll probably never be able to sail in as much comfort as them on their cat. 
I like their attitude, and the video editing is top notch. 
check out their Panama Canal crossing videos, pretty neat.

Yes there are comments that Gone with the Wynns boat is not fit for purpose. I think  a Cat 1 inspector would have cracked a fit. Cracked windows, let alone storm shutters. Wondering if good luck or good planning that got them to Opua. Bit of both maybe. 

Another one I've just found is Sailing Magic Carpet. A young couple who resurrected an old Vindo 32 that had fallen from a crane. I've started form the beginning and so far they've gone through the French canals and are exploring around the med.

Cool people, great music, and interesting locations.

A bit more realistic than Parlay, Vagabond, and the Wynns as an example of cheap liveabord exploring option. Makes me want to buy an H28/Cav32 and spend a year or two sailing around Auckland/BOI working remotely. Can't travel at the moment so need something to scratch the itchy feet.  

• Upvote 1

My must watch is Sailing Yacht Florence 

No hype just a pommy couple circumnavigating on an older 37’ Oyster

Worth going back to beginning if your really bored

3 hours ago, Jon said:

My must watch is Sailing Yacht Florence 

No hype just a pommy couple circumnavigating on an older 37’ Oyster

Worth going back to beginning if your really bored

Ditto. We’ve been Gold Patreons for ages (think we were their 4th or 5th).

• Upvote 1