New Hull cleaning regs for Auckland - more costs....

4 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Purile.

Yesrecreational  boat owners are relatively well off.  Its a totally discretionary activity.  If you cannot afford it, don't do it.

Forget about the big ships and others.  Our boats create a problem - pointing at something else and whining "not fair!" is childish and doesn't resolve the problem we create.

Yes, some anti-fouling that was effective is no longer available - because it was killing lifeforms we want as well as those we don't.  Its inconvenient, but if your chemistry is impacting fish, shellfish and sea flora that is supporting our recreational fishing (among other things) then its probably not great.  To complain about it is similar to complaints about the loss of lead additives in petrol, or the removal of DDT from the available insecticides.

That's it .Play the man not the issue. No where was there a complaint or 'whining".Just a summary of factual issues .You really need to get off your soapbox .By your methodology driving a car is discretionary! Like others we make choices to have a boat in lieu of items A10 probably deems essentials

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, raz88 said:

This is true, but the thought of the marinas having to keep their pontoons clean terrifies me, cos I know where the cost will be passed on to...

Shame the marinas can’t paint the piles & pontoons with same stuff the ships & subs use. Would save all the boats in the marinas needing it!

Years ago before I knew better a mate and I did a non-cash trade with a guy working at Cardiff docks (some furniture for a drum of commercial “bottom paint”). We didn’t ask what was in it but painted it on our little 27 footer on an estuary in the West Country. Came back to the boat 2 weeks later and everything within visible radius was clean & shiny as new including our marina finger, piles, other boats etc. Those were the days…

• Like 1

Fan worm is spreading and I do not think it can be stopped.Asain paddle crabs have invaded Ngunaru,not sure what damage they do.But years ships have been coming here and discharging water ballast in the ports,then it was at sea.Now I believe they have to dump it outside 200 mile zone,but who is monitoring it??same as the pacific oysters arrived here when they did the clipons on the bridge.

Its all imported foreign matter.

7 hours ago, Fogg said:

Yes what is the evidence for small pleasure boat being the culprits?

I didn't say they are THE culprits.

But you'd have to be a mental midget to think that the huge fleet of moored recreational boats in Auckland hasn't in some way contributed to the spread of invasive species.  A quick look up the Tamaki (hell, go past any 20 boats moored in the Wairoa at Clevedon...) will show you the level of contamination some get to.

I watched one nearly sink in the Tamaki, and when it was hauled there was more fanworm than hull.IMG_20210310_165915_1.thumb.jpg.eaf96685ab899399707f86a47ab4566a.jpg

22 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

So how do all you Left Wing voters feel about your Labour Govt now. What about the ships that bring all this stuff in ? And only 9 months gone of their 3 year reign of terror. I hear they're having 5 million meters being built to attach to everyone (no exceptions) so they can tax the air we breathe. They're doing water so air is all that's left

all these facts....

blowhard.jpg

38 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

But you'd have to be a mental midget to think that the huge fleet of moored recreational boats in Auckland hasn't in some way contributed to the spread of invasive species.  A quick look up the Tamaki (hell, go past any 20 boats moored in the Wairoa at Clevedon...) will show you the level of contamination some get to.

I watched one nearly sink in the Tamaki, and when it was hauled there was more fanworm than hull.IMG_20210310_165915_1.thumb.jpg.eaf96685ab899399707f86a47ab4566a.jpg

1 What % of boats in Auck look like that? Very few I’m guessing. Any stats anyone?  Another blanket rule to cater for the exceptions at the expense of the mostly well behaved masses. Instead, tell the Auckland Harbour Master to stop eating donuts and go out and inspect the usual culprit areas and enforce existing rules.

2. Still not addressing the fact it’s invasive. Stop letting it in and stop persecuting innocent NZ boaties who didn’t bring it in and who get caught in the middle. At very least tackle the invasion-by-foreign-ship AS WELL rather than exempting them altogether. Which totally demotivates me to do my part.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Fogg said:

1 What % of boats in Auck look like that?

dunno and fair point.  Blanket rules are how it works unfortch.  100kph speed limits.  Rules on the conditions of rental properties.  Warrants of Fitness.  All aimed at ensuring we are protected from the 5%.

31 minutes ago, Fogg said:

2. Still not addressing the fact it’s invasive. Stop letting it in and stop persecuting innocent NZ boaties who didn’t bring it in and who get caught in the middle. At very least tackle the invasion-by-foreign-ship AS WELL rather than exempting them altogether. Which totally demotivates me to do my part.

Again, I agree.  I'm not sure what legislation and regulation (if any) governs that.  Whatever it is, it should be complementary to the recreational rules, not a replacement.  You can bet it would (and has) increase freight costs, the cost of ferry transportation, etc.

I'm assuming other jurisdictions have similar problems and have developed solutions.

In reality no one is going to have their boat inspected and no one is going to be fined.
It's all a load of faff.
I sailed up and around Bay of Islands for best part of a month and never got asked about, approached, or questioned, let alone inspected by any local "Boat Police" .  Will be the same in Auckland.  The logistics of trying to police these type of idiotic rules on any meaningful scale are fantasy land.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Zozza said:

In reality no one is going to have their boat inspected and no one is going to be fined.
It's all a load of faff.
I sailed up and around Bay of Islands for best part of a month and never got asked about, approached, or questioned, let alone inspected by any local "Boat Police" .  Will be the same in Auckland.  The logistics of trying to police these type of idiotic rules on any meaningful scale are fantasy land.

We got inspected at Oke Bay.

Inspection boat rocked up, asked when we'd been cleaned/anti fouled last, diver went over the side, came up 60 seconds later, inspectors said thanks very much, then took some photos of our hull and boat name and moved on to the next boat....

Very painless and didn't have to show any paper evidence. 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

We got inspected at Oke Bay.

Inspection boat rocked up, asked when we'd been cleaned/anti fouled last, diver went over the side, came up 60 seconds later, inspectors said thanks very much, then took some photos of our hull and boat name and moved on to the next boat....

Very painless and didn't have to show any paper evidence. 

Cool

I had my Haulot receipt handy , but as I say, never got inspected.  

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Boats like that don't go anywhere 

23 hours ago, Fish said:

The thing with the fanny worm, is the river is infested with it. Go for a paddle at dead low tide, the zone 1-2m below low water is just a carpet of the stuff. So I'm buggered what the benefit is of hauling out to remove a handful of fan worm is when I probably stand on 10 times as many launching the dinghy... Focus should on keep the hull clean of them so  I don't spread them around in my travels. Silly rule.

Which of course begs the question: How did it get there? Not many container ships come up the Weiti...

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, DoT said:

Which of course begs the question: How did it get there? Not many container ships come up the Weiti...

Maybe its the couple of million cubic meters of water that move out of, and back into the river twice a day? They are thickest where there is good water flow. 

The fanny worm is endemic along the northern side of the Whangaparaoa peninsular also. Go for a paddle board at low tide. I've seen it all along the rocks between Stanmore Bay and Red Beach. No container ships there either. No marina's or mooring areas either. Plenty of tide and water current though.

I don't actually understand, from a biological / ecological point of view, how a yacht hull is any different to any other natural marine structure, mainly rocks.

To clarify, I agree that boats should be free of fan worm when moving from place to place. However, it is counter productive to restrict hull cleaning in the water if the immediate surrounding environment is already infested with fan worm. This is with reference to cleaning on a mooring. It is logical not to take an infest hull to Little Barrier Island and scrub off 2 years of growth on the foreshore.

Fan worm spreads by discharging spores into water currents. That is why tidal estuaries around Auckland are heavily infested with it. They were introduced in ballast water from international shipping.

It is going to spread naturally around the remainder of the North Island coast, where temp & nutrients are appropriate for its growth. Recreational boats are a minor element in that spread, and we can remove boats as a vector by keeping them clean. Your hull has to be very dirty to get fan worm developed, and man, it is going to slow you down...

In the situation where the boats home surrounding environment is heavily infested, it is far better to allow regular and efficient cleaning, so that the fan worm does not establish on the hull and then use that to vector to a new place (hitch a ride). Having to stop cleaning if you find fan worm is illogical - you are cleaning to avoid / remove the fan worm. Every marina in Auckland has fan worm on the fingers. i.e. 1-2 feet away from the hull you are trying to keep clean of fan worm.

If you make rules too hard, they will get ignored. If you make rules pragmatic, they will be followed.

Edit: So this says they main form of spread from area to area is via marine biofouling, but also states that larvae live for up to 20 days, and settle on fairly much anything. So my main point, if there is fanworm on your marina finger, should you have to haul out to remove it from your hull, or just clean it off in the water and go for a cruise, thus removing risk of spreading it around?

Description

The Mediterranean fanworm is native to the Mediterranean and Atlantic coast of Europe. It typically occurs in subtidal habitats to a depth of 30 metres that are protected from wave exposure. The fanworm attaches to solid structures such as wharf pilings and shells or small, hard substrata in soft sediments. It has been introduced to Australia and was first detected in New Zealand in 2008. It is now present in a number of New Zealand harbours. The Mediterranean fanworm can persist in a range of water temperatures and salinity. It grows rapidly in summer months and can live for 2-5 years. Larvae may last in the water column for up to 20 days before settling to attach on the seafloor or on port or harbour infrastructure. The Mediterranean fanworm is spread to new locations primarily within vessel biofouling, although the movement of aquaculture equipment or other marine structures may also contribute to its spread.

Mediterranean fanworm » Marine Biosecurity Porthole

Our boat came out today. Met the antifoul boss and asked what the weird things were on my hull.  He said some new thing that had started showing up in the last few months.  White, slug looking thing.  Cool something else I will be responsible for moving around......................

• Haha 1
On 31/07/2021 at 12:02 PM, Black Panther said:

This is the bit I want to see verified with some real science/evidence

https://www.nrc.govt.nz/media/a2rniyui/cawthronsabellabackgroundreport.pdf

Its all in here, and that's not what they say, mostly.

This is the scientific advice given to councils to base their responses on.

Just reading the executive summary is enough to make you realise the councils ignored the report, mostly.

You are wasting your time and our money trying to stop it. There are guidelines as to what needs to be assessed before eradication efforts should be made for new introduced species.