New Hull cleaning regs for Auckland - more costs....

Thanks BoI,

So basically, the only thing they can control is recreational boats, and nothing else. The thing is so good at reproducing, 50,000 eggs a go, that last 3 weeks in the water, that it is impossible to eradicate. I'm fairly sure that the exec summary actually said it is a champion masterbator. (sperm casting reproductive strategy)

Anyway, I think we should refer to it by the scientific name, it sounds far more sexy than fan worm.

Sabella Spallanzanii

Sounds like a good Italian AmCup challenge.

Duty Free, are you talking about the white haemaroids? They are another one of the 12 introduced pests. I've seen them all over the sea floor in bon accord whilst snorkeling. Like the Spallanzanii, just below the low tide line...

At least Spallanzanii sounds more exotic than fan worm. Like Prada is to Farmers.

Just received notice that my yacht at Westhaven was inspected by a Council diver and that  I need to supply a pan to Council for approval to clean my boat by 11 August.

My reply below.

I am somewhat surprised at the contents of your recent Email advising my boat has a small amount of Fanweed on it. The boat is regularly raced and cleaned and in fact has been cleaned twice since the date of your inspection (11 June).

Given the time delay between your inspection and the notice from you today, some 6 weeks later, I was unaware of  requirement to seek approval to clean with a plan, such  cleaning which is done by all racing yachts on a regular basis 

The yacht is berthed adjacent to the marina pontoon which has been , and is, heavily contaminated with fanweed for many years and any migration onto my boat can only have come from there in the recent past as since April, the boat has only been raced out of Westhaven. I have not cruised in this period.

If the regs and enforcement are going  like this (6 weeks notice,plan,non use ) then they had better legislate rapidly requiring reinstatement of grids with catch all . Travel lift availability / expense will preclude average owner. Or maybe put more poisons in antifoul ? You have to ask what's the biggest threat.  The horse is well and truly gone

• Upvote 1

I think you might have a case against Auckland Council for infecting your clean, antifouled vessel with their totally infected marina piers. In any event you should ask for photographic evidence. 

4 hours ago, The big T said:

Just received notice that my yacht at Westhaven was inspected by a Council diver and that  I need to supply a pan to Council for approval to clean my boat by 11 August.

My reply below.

I am somewhat surprised at the contents of your recent Email advising my boat has a small amount of Fanweed on it. The boat is regularly raced and cleaned and in fact has been cleaned twice since the date of your inspection (11 June).

Given the time delay between your inspection and the notice from you today, some 6 weeks later, I was unaware of  requirement to seek approval to clean with a plan, such  cleaning which is done by all racing yachts on a regular basis 

The yacht is berthed adjacent to the marina pontoon which has been , and is, heavily contaminated with fanweed for many years and any migration onto my boat can only have come from there in the recent past as since April, the boat has only been raced out of Westhaven. I have not cruised in this period.

Wow,

There is several things in that.

1) they took 6 weeks to contact you, but want you to submit a plan within 8 days? (i.e. 1 week?)

2) How did they contact you? email or post? How do they have your contact details? Its not like boats have car registrations?

3) what legislation are they using? Keen to understand the rules on this.

Other than the illogic of needing to keep you boat clean in an infested marina.

Is the bottom of your keel antifouled? We've currently hauled out to re-apply, and I'm spending $$$ and effort to jack the boat up so we can do the bottom of the keel, mainly due to all of these new rules and compliance, and to be a good citizen.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, alibaba said:

I think you might have a case against Auckland Council for infecting your clean, antifouled vessel with their totally infected marina piers. In any event you should ask for photographic evidence. 

I like this idea. I would be tempted to tell them I have appointed a lawyer to handle this. Including compensation for a failure of service ie in return for paying berthing fees you reasonably expect your boat to be provided with a safe & secure berth environment. But they have failed because instead, the poor quality marine environment they are providing has exposed you to a double-peril:

1. Your boat has caught fanworm from their marina not the other way around. This is evidenced by the fact you regularly clean your hull but after a few weeks back on the visibly infected berth it’s back on your hull again.

2. You are now liable to a ‘clean-up order’ with god knows what other consequences or penalties if you don’t or can’t comply.

Sue the buggers.

• Upvote 5

Kafkaesque is how I would describe it. Their intention is sound- stop the spread of unwanted marine organisms but if the entire marina is reinfecting the boats then surely there is a legal remedy here somewhere.

Where is WMUA in all this?

15 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Where is WMUA in all this?

Fanworm was not an item of discussion at the recent AGM.

They have other fish to fry, such as the opening of a nightclub in the new retail buildings, which are only for marine related tenants.

11 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Matbe the owner of Blakies old boat was just careening, and it didnt blow ashore at St Heliers

That’s a curious story. The article said it was blown off its “mooring” but the owner said it was probably due to a windshift overnight that caused the anchor to move and not reset. Which is very different from a mooring. Does he really keep it anchored there permanently?

Notice in its entirety. In my red mist phase misread notice date - have to 11 September to comply in full - have to submit plan by 11 August.

Received by Email and copy allegedly in post. 

Will advise of response if any.

Some great titles for the team and the people who head it up - must be really well compensated and educated to even remember that lot.

36 minutes ago, The big T said:

Notice in its entirety. In my red mist phase misread notice date - have to 11 September to comply in full - have to submit plan by 11 August.

Received by Email and copy allegedly in post. 

Will advise of response if any.

Some great titles for the team and the people who head it up - must be really well compensated and educated to even remember that lot.

In reality a haul out wash and put it back in is all that should be required, which might not hurt if you have a big race planned between now and then anyway, but the twaddlebollocks of it all is a bit exasperating.

Getting your wash approved in writing by a suitably warranted officer etc could be more work than taking her over to the floating dock.

Don't wash too soon before your big race though, you might catch it off the finger again...

1 hour ago, Fogg said:

That’s a curious story. The article said it was blown off its “mooring” but the owner said it was probably due to a windshift overnight that caused the anchor to move and not reset. Which is very different from a mooring. Does he really keep it anchored there permanently?

Yep - he anchors it there permanently on 100m of chain - at least he did :-( - he used to move it before a big storm came to a rent-a-mooring or take it somewhere safe for a couple of days.

It's just outside harbour limits so anchoring is allowed.

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Getting your wash approved in writing by a suitably warranted officer etc could be more work than taking her over to the floating dock.

I would put it straight back on them. Show them your receipt for a recent floating dock lift & wash and ask them to prove it’s inadequate not the other way around. Partly just stalling tactics but you need to play these buggers at their own game.