New Hull cleaning regs for Auckland - more costs....

22 hours ago, waikiore said:

Yes we noticed despite the total cover of Fanworm in Westhaven it had not got a grip in Milford, industrial /Motorway run off and fresh water I suspect. 

A vast amount of toxic crap goes out of that creek from the wairau industrial catchment so yeah , nothings going to get growing in that marina . 

I grew up playing in that creek and using the concreted part as an underground highway when wagging school. Some of the sh*t that businesses would chuck in there on purpose and inadvertently would turn the creek , green , red , pink and sometimes there would be a a 3 feet deep froth .

Hopwood yachts , Cooksons , formula marine , Greg young marine , salthouse all had drainage sumps in the car parks outside the factory doors . I had mates who’s fathers had mechanical business , photolithography , plastic bottle manufacturing factories all with dished parking with a sump and they would all tip sh*t down there.

anyone eating harbour caught snapper this weekend ! ? 

• Haha 1

They've upped the game in Whitianga Waterways and banned boat lifters/bags as they can't clean them.

A few of the residents not too happy. A neighbour of a mate of mine has moved his boat to Tairua Marina as they allow them there. He doesn't want to risk fan worm intrusion into his water intakes

I guess never mind that his cradle made it worse for all his neighbours :-)

6 hours ago, 44forty said:

I grew up playing in that creek and using the concreted part as an underground highway when wagging school. Some of the sh*t that businesses would chuck in there on purpose and inadvertently would turn the creek , green , red , pink and sometimes there would be a a 3 feet deep froth .

cycled all those storm water drains,slippery as,that was about 45 yrs ago,diana dr to milford etc great fun.

On 30/07/2021 at 5:49 PM, Fogg said:

1 What % of boats in Auck look like that? Very few I’m guessing. Any stats anyone?  Another blanket rule to cater for the exceptions at the expense of the mostly well behaved masses. Instead, tell the Auckland Harbour Master to stop eating donuts and go out and inspect the usual culprit areas and enforce existing rules.

2. Still not addressing the fact it’s invasive. Stop letting it in and stop persecuting innocent NZ boaties who didn’t bring it in and who get caught in the middle. At very least tackle the invasion-by-foreign-ship AS WELL rather than exempting them altogether. Which totally demotivates me to do my part.

Perhaps we should be taking the regional councils to task as it is the water they claim to control that is doing the contaminating to the boats in the first place, not the boats in it. Another thought re the cleaning of hulls, I wonder if the councils have ever watched a mussel barge harvesting the mussels, now that is a huge amount of "contamination" material!

This is a young 40 with a Y11 ?  in the background …check out the meaty crane to the left .

Cant really imagine any yacht clubs having the $$ to build a facility like this but damn it would be a “nice to have “

it’s in Oz somewhere and very common to drysail over there 

7C875EED-CF23-4094-9242-645A1EB8D01E.jpeg