Yachting NZ double dipping still

I am a member of far too many yacht clubs, and am getting more and more upset at Yachting NZ charging me to belong through every one of them, this can not be allowed to continue -surely I can nominate a club pay the membership and quote this number allowing me to not pay through all the others . In short this is the greatest rort of this countries sailors, I am aware someone from Tauranga brought this up at the AGM circa five years ago, and the meeting sort of agreed however nothing seems to have been done. Come on David man up and tell us this will stop.

• Upvote 1

Though we are being charged as individuals, and I have a yachting NZ member card with list of benefits on the back, and the clubs are levied based on the number of members they admit to having....I know some have adjusted their numbers for this purpose. 

Yes ....it may be that they'll need to put the fees up  since NZ didn't get the medal haul. This will cut the Govt. funding. If the empire is to remain that leaves us. The other 90% to fund the shortfall. But we don't exist if we're not members. It's up to the club reps to take back control and govern for the rest of us

2 hours ago, waikiore said:

Though we are being charged as individuals, and I have a yachting NZ member card with list of benefits on the back, and the clubs are levied based on the number of members they admit to having....I know some have adjusted their numbers for this purpose. 

On your remittance from the club,just deduct levy and explain why.Makes no sense pay levy at 3 or 4 different clubs.

3 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Standard response is that members aren't levied. The club is levied and that it pays loosely based on its membership. As an individual, you aren't a member of YNZ, the club is.

Good luck with changing that

Affiliation Levy Your club’s affiliation levy will be calculated by multiplying the total number of individual club members by the affiliation fee. • Individuals - $26.60 plus GST • Family memberships o Two family members - $53.20 plus GST o Three or more family members - $66.00 plus GST o Please include the information for all individuals in a family when membership information is provided to Yachting New Zealand, as per the excel template supplied via email. • Corporate members - $26.60 plus GST • Schools - $26.60 plus GST • Life members - exempt • Patrons – exempt • Volunteer exemption – up to 10 per club.

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/sites/default/files/2021-07/2021-2022 Yachting New Zealand Affiliation and Member Card Information.pdf

2 hours ago, waikiore said:

No you have a YNZ issued CLUB membership card

Generally only clubs are members of YNZ but you can if you so wish become a personal member. You will still have a join a club though

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 1.32.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 1.34.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 1.33.35 PM.png

I have written to YNZ in the past and they have explained it me as follows. The short version is perhaps don't join too many yacht clubs?

I understand your frustration, but I have to re-iterate that the affiliation fee is not charged to a member, but charged to the club and that the club is a member of Yachting New Zealand. Some clubs choose to pass this cost directly on to their members and other clubs choose to accept this as part of the club expenses.

The current affiliation billing system(charged on a per member basis) was voted in by clubs as being the fairest way to work out each clubs affiliation fees. And due to the club being the member, only a club can put forward a policy change proposal for the next AGM agenda.

Gosh I thought mine was wooden,  so the answer is to not support the clubs by joining  and go everywhere as a visitor from your primary club. This will certainly have even more clever ones joining the short reporting of membership numbers, and other outlying clubs electing to go alone without YNZ .   

1 hour ago, armchairadmiral said:

Semantics !  Members pay. Smoke and mirrors stuff

not often said, but I agree

4 hours ago, Psyche said:

I understand your frustration, but I have to re-iterate that the affiliation fee is not charged to a member, but charged to the club and that the club is a member of Yachting New Zealand.

This is like saying that GST is a charge to the retailer which they choose, or not, to pass on to the purchaser.

4 hours ago, Psyche said:

Some clubs choose to pass this cost directly on to their members and other clubs choose to accept this as part of the club expenses.

This conveniently sidesteps the fact that the club's expenses are a cost on the members.  Whether its a line item or not, the members are paying.

8 hours ago, harrytom said:

On your remittance from the club,just deduct levy and explain why.Makes no sense pay levy at 3 or 4 different clubs.

Did this today with one of the club's where I have been a member( and renewing membership)  and got this response

XXXXX is affiliated to YNZ.

You are a member of YNZ by default if you are a member of XXXXX

Yes we have other members in the same situation as you.  They all pay us the affiliation fee (as well as to the other Clubs they are a member of).

Last time this happened I contact YNZ for the process and they advised that all members must pay via the Clubs they are a member of and then the member must contact YNZ directly to have any multiple payments refunded.

If you need further clarification, feel free to contact YNZ directly.

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/contact-us

Not really the response I expected. Thoughts?   

I see the following defs from the YNZ constitution (https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/sites/default/files/2020-07/YNZ Constitution.pdf 05/08/21)

Individual Club Member is a natural person who is deemed to be a member of a Member Club in accordance with its Constitution

Member means a Member Club, entity or individual which has been admitted within the rules of this Constitution and which has fulfilled the conditions of membership

11.0 MEMBER APPLICATIONS, ENTITLEMENTS AND REQUIREMENTS

11.1 All Members are bound by these Rules, the Regulations, by-laws, policies and procedures of YNZ.

11.2 In order to receive or continue to receive membership entitlements, Members must meet all requirements of membership set out in these Rules or as otherwise set by the Board including payment of any membership or other fees within a required time period.

11.3 The failure by a Member to comply with Rule 11.2 may result in withdrawal of membership entitlements as determined by the Board but shall not excuse such Member from being bound by these Rules.

11.4 Member Clubs are entitled to:

a) Participate in YNZ’s and their Regional Association’s activities subject at all times to being eligible for, and complying with, the terms and conditions of such activities;

b) Receive notices and papers and be able to attend (at their cost), speak and vote at General Meetings via a Delegate and in accordance with the Regulations.

11.5 Individual, Class Associations and Maritime Members are entitled to receive notices and papers and authorised representatives are able to attend (at their cost) and speak at General Meetings but are not entitled to vote.

11.6 Life Members are not required to pay any membership fee and they are also entitled to such other benefits (if any) as determined by the Board. Life Members may attend and speak at General Meetings but are not entitled to vote.

Pretty sure I'm not a member the club is - or am I looking at this the wrong way? I only want to pay one YNZ affiliation fee.  It isn't the quantum - its the principle.. Thoughts?

8 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

No you have a YNZ issued CLUB membership card

Generally only clubs are members of YNZ but you can if you so wish become a personal member. You will still have a join a club though

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 1.32.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 1.34.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 1.33.35 PM.png

Intresting isn't it...so if I applied and became an individual YNZ member would the clubs I'm a member of still charge me or pay an SEM or similar fee for each of my memberships? Or could I apply for an exemption because I'm an individual member of YNZ?

In a similar vein.....

Included in each car/motorbike registration fee is a charge for ACC. 

If you own 3 cars you pay 3 levies yet you can only be hurt in one car at a time. 

Should you refuse to pay the ACC content of the other 2 cars?

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

In a similar vein.....

Included in each car/motorbike registration fee is a charge for ACC. 

If you own 3 cars you pay 3 levies yet you can only be hurt in one car at a time. 

Should you refuse to pay the ACC content of the other 2 cars?

the rationale is armourplated... so DP no doubt as a member of multiple clubs you have no issue contributing to YNZ multiple times?

8 minutes ago, splat said:

the rationale is armourplated... so DP no doubt as a member of multiple clubs you have no issue contributing to YNZ multiple times?

4 clubs and pissed off no end actually.

Totally unfair system. Obviously you should be able to nominate a club, that club collects your levy seperate from their subscription and passes it on to YNZ. YNZ have the data already. Here's my APP info although 2 clubs don't appear on it for some reason. Squaddy and SSANZ. Note I have a different reference number for each club.

But how do you make a change. Half a dozen clubs control the voting power of the AGM and they probably don't care. The 3 little clubs I belong to that struggle the most to retain members at a reasonable subscription level have no say. 

DE06EC81-5EBF-4618-A49F-9CA5DA566D02.png

• Upvote 1

This was posted some time ago, the same discussion is repeating itself. Can't find it searching posts, a lot of the YNZ stuff seems to have disappeared. Its minutes from a club meeting if I recall correctly.

A big thanks to all those who responded to my last posting and especially to the Club Commodores who responded either to me or to the Waikawa Boating Club directly offering their support on the issue. It is now really obvious that this is a major issue and one the Board at Yachting NZ will do well to listen to.

Regarding the levy being paid multiple times by those who are a member of more than two clubs I would like to draw your attention to a motion that was passed at the Yachting NZ AGM back in 2017 moved and promoted by the Waikawa Boating Club:

The preamble was as follows: This motion is put forward to address Club members who belong to two or more affiliated clubs and currently included in the affiliation calculation. With the Club card membership information held by YNZ these members should be easily identifiable.

The motion was as follows: 3. Where on application from a member club, Yachting New Zealand will collect the affiliation levy once per individual belonging to two or more affiliated YNZ clubs.

While I stand to be corrected on this I don't believe that it has ever been given effect by either Clubs or Yachting NZ yet it would seem quite a simple matter to sort out.

Its a brave??? board that does not act on an Annual General Meeting Motion duly passed by the membership!

I sent it to one of my clubs, they decided to circumvent the process to cut down on work for YNZ, they did not collect the fee.

As YNZ has taken no notice/action about this issue (which has been posted many times here) I'm going to. Per Waikiore advice I'm resigning from the other clubs. I'll give those clubs a donation equivalent to the subscription. I'll still participate because I'll still belong to a club affiliated. This way the other clubs will increase their revenue at no cost to me and I'll have addressed a rort

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 3