Gas Code of Compliance Certificate

11 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Insurance company wants to see a Gas Code of Compliance Certificate .

Any recommendations for who I can get to do this?

Boat is in Half Moon Bay...

If your boat was built 2013 of later it should have come with one.

For Pre 2013 boats the only time there is a certificate issued is if a gas fitter works on it. If you want to get them off your back you can get a gas fitter to make a leak test, also a good idea to change any hoses if they are more than 10 yrs old. He would issue a certificate to say the work he has done is in compliance.

These guys are out your way, https://www.marinesafegas.co.nz/. Have zero experience with them. If you were to approach them, or any other gas fitter, and your boat is older than 2013 you want to have a conversation along the lines of "I would like a gas inspection of my pre 2013 boat. I am aware that AS/NZS 5601 2013 is not retrospective per clause 1.5, so I do not want to be told the whole system has to be replaced to comply with said standard"  

See how you go

Yes if you get any gas work done you need to be careful you don’t get bitten by this law being unreasonably applied retrospectively.

On my last boat I was quoted about a million dollars to fit an outside nipple for my bbq followed by a domino effect of other work to become 2013 compliant.

It was cheaper and simpler to sell the boat and buy another one.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Psyche said:

If it end up being an expensive hassle an alternative is to remove the gas and use an origo alcohol stove . It 's not too bad heatwise but the smell is a bit unpleasant.

I have been trying to find one for three years - do you have a NZ source.

They pop up on ebay every now and again, but people have realized that they are rare as hens teeth and the price reflects such...

image.png.9b18d595072c03de0d138eeb9dad9613.png

17 hours ago, Island Time said:

change insurance companies. Who are you with?

Mariner Insurance. They didn't mention it initially, but the survey report stated that we should get a CCC, so Mariner then added that as a condition.

I know of a few who have been told that they have to have it, followed by a ginormous bill for running a couple of lines on boats from the late eighties that actually did not have issues prior and now have more joints/connections . wtf

27 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

Mariner Insurance. They didn't mention it initially, but the survey report stated that we should get a CCC, so Mariner then added that as a condition.

You should pass on to the surveyor what issues this has caused you!

38 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

I'm with Mariner, they had the least requirements to get insurance, and were the cheapest. We didn't need a survey or anything. 35 yr old wooden log.

Why did you need a survey?

Some outfits I tried getting quotes from had ridiculous requirements. Pantaneous wanted survey reports on our mooring piles every 2 years. I'm like, is just a massive timber post, new, H5 treated, about 2 feet thick. What else do you want to know about them? That was including rig survey, out of water survey, covid tests, marriage certificate, copy of my school certificate grades etc

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, waikiore said:

I know of a few who have been told that they have to have it, followed by a ginormous bill for running a couple of lines on boats from the late eighties that actually did not have issues prior and now have more joints/connections . wtf

it is the same as the b.s that goes on with EWOF's for older boats.

4 hours ago, Fish said:

I'm with Mariner, they had the least requirements to get insurance, and were the cheapest. We didn't need a survey or anything. 35 yr old wooden log.

Why did you need a survey?

Some outfits I tried getting quotes from had ridiculous requirements. Pantaneous wanted survey reports on our mooring piles every 2 years. I'm like, is just a massive timber post, new, H5 treated, about 2 feet thick. What else do you want to know about them? That was including rig survey, out of water survey, covid tests, marriage certificate, copy of my school certificate grades etc

I found Pantaneous the worst when I looked around 

40 minutes ago, 1paulg said:

I found Pantaneous the worst when I looked around 

They all cater for different needs resulting in different fits with your situation.

When I was buying Fogg my requirements were:

1. Buying a 8yr old yacht sight unseen in Malaysia (pre-purchase survey done) but no rig survey.

2. Being delivered through Covid-restricted region 250nm by a South African delivery skipper who lives aboard in the same marina in Langkawi who sounds good but whom I’ve never met.

3. Upon arrival in Kuala Lumpar delivery skipper hands Fogg over to a new crowd who de-rig and prep Fogg for lifting into a cargo ship for delivery to Auckland.

4. Fogg sits in a exposed berth in the commercial port for 3 weeks until lockdown lifted and shipping can resume

etc etc

This is a simplified version and it blew the minds of every insurer except….. Pantaenius. Who were not remotely phased and who obviously got my business and continue to insure me here in NZ.

Pantaenius Have been sweet for us. Basically didn’t want to see any thing at all. Registration was about it. I specifically asked about how often I needed a rig inspection and was told - “we have no requirements “

Does anyone have a copy of the gas regs part 2 (boats and vehicles). I searched and could only find a copy that I had to pay $185 for. 

I need to clarify the current regulations.  

It seems to me that there is a big difference between meeting the current 'regulations' and meeting the current 'standards'

Meeting the current 'regulations' means that boats pre 2013 are exempt unless they have work done on the gas system.

Meeting the curent 'standards' means a full system rebuild for most boats.

I feel the shits going to be hitting the fan on this subject soon.

Insurance, marinas and racing regulations......

13 minutes ago, B00B00 said:

Does anyone have a copy of the gas regs part 2 (boats and vehicles). I searched and could only find a copy that I had to pay $185 for. 

I need to clarify the current regulations.  

It seems to me that there is a big difference between meeting the current 'regulations' and meeting the current 'standards'

Meeting the current 'regulations' means that boats pre 2013 are exempt unless they have work done on the gas system.

Meeting the curent 'standards' means a full system rebuild for most boats.

I feel the shits going to be hitting the fan on this subject soon.

Insurance, marinas and racing regulations......

Another pet peve of mine Booboo, why do our NZ standards cost? To get them, you have to sign a non disclosure agreement, and pay as you have found out. I don't have a copy, bu the bit you want is AS/NZS 5601 2013 is not retrospective per clause 1.5...

And I agree this is about to be a big issue...

OK, got a copy. Here is section 1.5

Sorry Ive removed the quote, it's copywrite. It is ^&% stupid that we cant quote or publish this for owners information, but there you go. Suffice to say, it's not retrospective. However any repairs or modifications must be up to current standards. 

IMO this means you can (for example) replace a corroded pipe with a new one, as long as the pipe, connections and mounting meet the current standards. You cannot fit a new califont that does not meet the current standards. That's just my opinion...