Mooring Options 50ft+ Vessel

We have a swing mooring rated to 15m / 50ft. This is the max Auckland Transport allows. We like the look of a 52ft boat. From what I see renting a marina in the Auckland region requires approx $1200 pm.

What the options for those of us with a limited supply of cash? Any ideas?

I would get an appointment with the harbour master and plead your case, the only reason there is a limit on moorings is because a boat plowed through shoal bay a few years ago and I understand there is an ongoing legal wrangle over it.

Are those ones by Watchman's Is on moorings or at anchor? I thought that was an 'anchoring' zone. I know the odd boat in Cox's bay are just anchored, instead of the whole mooring rigmarole.

4 hours ago, Fish said:

Are those ones by Watchman's Is on moorings or at anchor? I thought that was an 'anchoring' zone. I know the odd boat in Cox's bay are just anchored, instead of the whole mooring rigmarole.

The Oceans 71 at Watchmans has been on a mooring there for years, one day 5 years ago maybe it broke free (chafe?) and nearly drifted into the bridge but was saved just in time.

4 hours ago, Nathan1000 said:

LOA unfortunately. I might nab that space at St Heliers while its free. $14000 a year times 10 years and boat is paid for.

At 50ft loa you will be up for $17000 a year at Westhaven Lidgard and Co measure to the millimetre.

What would be your insurance status and ability to live aboard long term be swinging from anchor in the confines of the Auckland harbour.

8C0E9823-5F95-4D6A-A5AC-EBF26A63102E.thumb.png.50ef3e00547c48479f16fca611e599f5.png

15 hours ago, Priscilla II said:

At 50ft loa you will be up for $17000 a year at Westhaven Lidgard and Co measure to the millimetre.

That is an old price list you have shown Priscilla.

Prices went up in June (as they must every year), so the 10m has gone up from $651 to $728 in two years. An 11.8% increase. 😪

https://www.westhaven.co.nz/getattachment/westhaven/Berths/Rent-a-Berth/Rental_Rates_May21.pdf/?lang=en-NZ

Yes a 49-50 footer (LOA) will generally squeeze into a 15m berth. But that extra 2ft tips you over the edge into the 16-18m berth bracket (depending on marina). With a big cost increase. This was one of the reasons we limited our upgrade to a 50 footer rather than a 53-54 footer which was very tempting at the time. And this is the reason you will see some 52-53 footers cheaper (or at least sitting on the market for longer) than many 50 footers - it’s down to cost of berthing. By the time you get to 50ft you’ve got a big boat whatever the vintage. The extra 2-3ft is barely noticeable in terms of amenity but it very noticeable in terms of ongoing cost.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, ex Elly said:

That is an old price list you have shown Priscilla.

Prices went up in June (as they must every year), so the 10m has gone up from $651 to $728 in two years. An 11.8% increase. 😪

https://www.westhaven.co.nz/getattachment/westhaven/Berths/Rent-a-Berth/Rental_Rates_May21.pdf/?lang=en-NZ

You're correct there Elly, crikey a 10m is now $8742 a year when I quit the boat it was getting pretty rough cost wise now a whole bunch rougher.

5 hours ago, DrWatson said:

3x the price I pay in France... ouch.

Our area on the Sweetwater Seas is admittedly one of the more affordable places to sail in North America, and our Club is also a volunteer non-profit, but still . . 

That amount is in USD per season, and includes power and water.  

A Dock                            35                      32         37           $1615.25  

Of course our season is only six months long . .