Get your Lockdown sailing fix.....

48 minutes ago, Zozza said:

I will start it off.....

Robin Knox Johnston - Running Free

After winning the original RTR RKJ received the prize of GBP5,000.When the sad story of Donald Crowhurst and his suicide was revealed, he immediately donated the entire winnings to a fund set up for Crowhurst's family. That showed his good character!

By the way his "big" yacht (he still has Suihali) is a Farr 56, shows good taste in choice of designer 👍 

• Upvote 1

I got as far north as Pukenui and had my meal ashore at the fishing club. Didnt go on to parengarenga as i didn't think it would be appropriate with my 2.7m draft until then i was having a ball and everything was working well.

Unfortunately at BoI we took some non sailors for a day trip and ended up with a tampon wrapped in a paper towel blocking the holding tank exit. Clearing that had Angela and I soaked in sh*t and the next day i had fever, vomiting and diarrhea that lasted nearly 10 days. By which time I was ready to get home. Thanks to IT I was able to get the recalitrant autopilot functional and sailed straight back. Albeit still a bit weak and shaky.

Then went into lockdown. What next?

5 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I got as far north as Pukenui and had my meal ashore at the fishing club. Didnt go on to parengarenga as i didn't think it would be appropriate with my 2.7m draft until then i was having a ball and everything was working well.

Unfortunately at BoI we took some non sailors for a day trip and ended up with a tampon wrapped in a paper towel blocking the holding tank exit. Clearing that had Angela and I soaked in sh*t and the next day i had fever, vomiting and diarrhea that lasted nearly 10 days. By which time I was ready to get home. Thanks to IT I was able to get the recalitrant autopilot functional and sailed straight back. Albeit still a bit weak and shaky.

Then went into lockdown. What next?

Great little vids BP really enjoyed them.

What next?  I reckon a composting Head.  Would have perhaps. avoided the blocked sh*tter and resultant backdoor trots!

Thank you.  I have no pretensions towards being a videographer. As i said i was just chatting with my brother in Sydney and my sister in Arizona. 

And in spite if the tragic ending it was a good trip. Lots of good winter sailing if you have time to wait it out. I covered over 300 miles and only had to motor for about 25 of them. With help of YouTube I learned to make pico de gallo and cook pork bellies , and my bread making improved.

The new music system is great and i can get Netflix outside the river. Next step is books on the tablet.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Next step is books on the tablet.

I know this makes eminent sense especially on a boat. But I just can’t bring myself to make the leap. I spend too much time staring at screens as it is and for me the tactile feel (and even smell) of a paper book is an essential part of the reading experience. I even enjoy picking up new bookmarks if I see them on my travels. Most of Gen Z will never even know what a bookmark is!

On 19/08/2021 at 2:16 PM, Fogg said:

Talking of books has anyone else read this? It’s a new story to me and so far it’s been harrowing reading. 😳

528D5FDA-2236-4A18-A5AD-ABF4EEC2912C.jpeg

Still reading this. It’s certainly very different and I’m struggling to recommend it as a great read if you’re wanting cover-to-cover sailing.

The sailing bit is over early on and then the rest is about (1) the post accident investigation and the disgracefully sluggish and inadequate response of the S Korean authorities, ship’s owners & crew and (2) the devastating mental impact on the sole survivor (mother/wife) after watching her husband and 2 kids die in front of her.

If you were contemplating your first offshore family cruise and feeling a bit nervous about making the leap then reading this book could put you off for life. Unless you believed that carrying a full AIS transponder would massively reduce your chances of collision at sea at night to an acceptable level.