Which electronic charts?

I’ve acquired a Vulcan 7 chart plotter, but it doesn’t come with anything over and above the base map.

what do people recommend for the gulf and up to bay of islands? Mostly racing rather than cruising

Are there other options bar cmap and navionics? 

I prefer the navionics, mostly just because I am used to them from my phone and tablet. Nothing wrong with C-Map though. 

I still have the c-map card from my vulcan if you are interested. 

I've used Cmap on Expedition on a laptop. Never used them on the Zeus.  I found the Cmap charts just fine. 

The chart data for both products comes from LINZ. So it comes down to your preference on how each manufacturer presents it's data.  B&G have some additional integrations for Cmap (due to fact they own them). 

Personally I use Navionics. It is what the plotter came with. It integrates with my Navionics phone software, upgrades seamlessly using my phone and I can sync routes and wayypoints easily with the boats WiFi. Relicensing the card is a PITA, but it doesn't stop working when the license expires, I have to take it home put it in a computer and run some special software. 

I am sure Cmap has its own quirks... 

I have customers who swear by Navionics, others Cmap. There are data gaps/errors in both systems, depending where you go. NZ is pretty good. Features are similar, presentation a bit different, as are the menus. Most like what they are used to...

I've got the Simrad go9, had the 7 before that, basically same unit as yours. Am very impressed with the navionics chart on that plotter.

I tried the simrad chart app online, which is based on cmap, it was terrible in comparison, comparing the two online offerings I think Navionics have the edge. 

Is it true that paper charts are to be fazed out in favour of electronic charts?  Paper j do occupy a lot of room but with this world of wifi glitches and drop out zones would it still not be a requirement for paper. Had a play with nephews lorrance thing,yes gps/chart plotter etc but i just found paper so useful,to be able take position from his terminal and pencil mark chart draw course. I considered the electronic world as a AID only but ,as he sad "Your Fn old"

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Havent used a paper chart in over a decade. Haven't used a sextant in anger for 3 decades.

couldn't do either safely or accurately.  In the process of learning it though.  I do like the Big Picture view you get on a proper chart, but I like the accuracy you get with electronics.

3 hours ago, harrytom said:

Is it true that paper charts are to be fazed out in favour of electronic charts?  Paper j do occupy a lot of room but with this world of wifi glitches and drop out zones would it still not be a requirement for paper. Had a play with nephews lorrance thing,yes gps/chart plotter etc but i just found paper so useful,to be able take position from his terminal and pencil mark chart draw course. I considered the electronic world as a AID only but ,as he sad "Your Fn old"

Paper Charts are beginning to be phased out. Ships use electronic chart system called ECDIS. Pretty easy to "draw" a course on your MFD (not "plotter" any more, now "multi function display") or PC etc. Just have to learn the software. If its a simple single bearing course, put the cursor where you want to go, hit "go to cursor". You can zoom in and out for larger/smaller detail. Larger screens are much better for overall views. My cockpit display is a 15 inch, for this reason.

Everything is an "aid" to navigation. Safe navigation needs 3 sources of data - like, (any three) GPS plotted, depth, bearings, radar or other (like passing a known mark etc) 

I actually prefer Cmap to navionics. If you have a look at a navionics system, check out how light sectors are displayed. For those of who do check our GPS accuracy whenever possible, the sector line at night is very useful. The way it is displayed on CMAP is much better than navionics at different zooms. CMAP is more similar to a paper chart. As I said IMO... 

previous yacht had Cmap.Thought it great technology back in 1998 or there abouts till the first gulf war came along.Checked the Cmap thing and put us on top of motihe island.So paer and Cmap in conjunction in the end.But yes to Cmap.could zoom in/out was not as fancy as todays toys.

Started with Navionics on B & G high end gear 30 years ago and still prefer it -and it looks the same on iphone and pad so thats what I will stick with, though I am senior to many of you so still carry full charts Akkers book and Pickmere for my coast crawling -sometimes fun to see all the changes.

3 hours ago, harrytom said:

previous yacht had Cmap.Thought it great technology back in 1998 or there abouts till the first gulf war came along.Checked the Cmap thing and put us on top of motihe island.So paer and Cmap in conjunction in the end.But yes to Cmap.could zoom in/out was not as fancy as todays toys.

You realize that in the 90's we had selective availability - a random error purposefully introduced by the US government. They could vary your position (still could if they wanted to) and did so at that time (Gulf War/s). It would not have mattered what GPS unit you had (unless it was a differential unit). As I said before, 3 sources of location data to be sure...

Thats what I figure Chariot -not many new rocks growing where I cruise -however I have experienced silting of harbours -like sliding into Port Charles a few years back reading Darcys description wondered why people on the beach waving till we gently slowed to a halt, nothing for it lunch and a beer left sails as they were (it was a rising tide) then sailed out to the Mercs.