Lockdown sailing deja-vu

A curious browse of AIS traffic shows a handful of private boats out & about across the region. Far fewer than last L4 but that might be partly time of year as well as fear of stricter policing.

The foreign flagged vessels presumably have a valid excuse as international liveaboard cruisers still caught here in NZ. But the NZ-flagged vessels appear to be only a few hours from their home ports but nevertheless sticking it out.

C074B2B0-858F-4F29-9683-029242F97CC5.png

in the case of Swan, she is moored on her berth at Sandspit and her owner is at his principal residence in the Sth Is. You will also see Marmax, Peregrine and Stella Maris appearing from time to time on Marine Traffic - they are all on their berths at Sandspit

The only boats that might be in breach are those at the bottom end of Waiheke & Gt Barrier  

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

How many NZ vessels have AIS or turn it on??

No idea but those that have it seem to fall into different habits:

1. Leave on 24x7x365

2. Switch on when arriving onboard and only switch off when leaving boat at end of trip

3. Switch on only when underway but switch off at anchor and all other times

Interesting that some of the NZ boats out there haven’t even tried to hide by turning it off at anchor. Might be inviting a visit by Deodar sometime…

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Fogg said:

No idea but those that have it seem to fall into different habits:

1. Leave on 24x7x365

2. Switch on when arriving onboard and only switch off when leaving boat at end of trip

3. Switch on only when underway but switch off at anchor and all other times

Interesting that some of the NZ boats out there haven’t even tried to hide by turning it off at anchor. Might be inviting a visit by Deodar sometime…

Be interesting to know when departed or departed from. wouldnt all liveaboards. Are the marinas lock off to owners??

I can only speak for GH Marina which is not locked off and allowing owners to visit their boat briefly to check all ok, lines secure etc. But no extended visits or non-essential activity eg if they spot you doing maintenance work you’ll be asked to leave. And obviously no movements of the boat. If you can’t get to your boat but are worried you can ask Marina security to check it for you. This has all been clearly communicated to berth holders via email. 

2 hours ago, harrytom said:

Be interesting to know when departed or departed from. wouldnt all liveaboards.

No naming names but it’s easy to see from voyage history that can one of the boats out there right now departed an Auckland marina at about 10.30pm on Tue night about 4hrs after the L4 lockdown was announced and 90 mins before it came into effect. They would have been underway as it came into effect at midnight. So a clear intentional breach. There you go - we’ve covered the ins & outs of ignoring the orders last time around so I’m not intending to reopen that discussion again here. It’s more a point of curiosity that a few stubborn types are still out there.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Fogg said:

I can only speak for GH Marina which is not locked off and allowing owners to visit their boat briefly to check all ok, lines secure etc. But no extended visits or non-essential activity eg if they spot you doing maintenance work you’ll be asked to leave. And obviously no movements of the boat. If you can’t get to your boat but are worried you can ask Marina security to check it for you. This has all been clearly communicated to berth holders via email. 

Advice from Sandspit is marina closed, no access to boats. Staff will check boats. So rather more rigid that GH

Only seen two yachts go  past this part of the coast after lockdown started …one motoring south and one large cat sailing north which has been a live aboard in Whangarei harbour for over a year now .

very different to last year when I was seeing too many to count the first week of lockdown .  all heading north and equal numbers of launches and yachts 

Bit of a dilemma living aboard in Whangarei - if it all turns to s@#t we will move to anchor, which obviously means "boating", which is not permitted.... Keeping stocked up and have a weather eye open.

As a liveaboard I think you’re exempt because you have no choice - you’re not recreational boaters. If you have AIS your voyage history will support your case that you’re spending long periods as static liveaboard. If no AIS maybe keep a log book!

Yeah, wasn't really going to sweat it, although covered in barnacles I'm not outrunning anyone!  Last year we were in Mahurangi, if we need to escape I'm thinking top end of Whangaruru.  Spent time there over summer and it seems like good shelter.  Except the jetskis....

1 hour ago, Dtwo said:

Yeah, wasn't really going to sweat it, although covered in barnacles I'm not outrunning anyone!  Last year we were in Mahurangi, if we need to escape I'm thinking top end of Whangaruru.  Spent time there over summer and it seems like good shelter.  Except the jetskis....

Very good all round shelter at the top end of Whangaruru, wonderful if you are a centreboarder, catamaran, not quite so much if you draw 2m + used to be a reasonable amount of pipis there, probably still is.

6 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

f pipis there, probably still is.

Up at the head there was a old house(1978) we went ashore to gather and this old lady come out and asked what we were doing.Told her. She took us to the house for a cuppa and hr later went back down. A comment was that we missed the tide. No you haven't ,now tide is coming in the pipis will walk ashore so no digging just pick them up. She was right.