Experience with WiFi B&G Wind Sensor

Have a friend who wants to install a new wind sensor.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the B&G WiFi ones that are charged by the wind and need no cables.

Anyone had experience with these?

Are they as good as the wired ones?

Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

We installed B&G Triton2 with Wireless Wind Transducer last year.  Sourced from Neptunes Gear.  It replaced broken and beyond repair Nexus system with wireless.  I had already replaced the battery and bearingss. 

The B&G wireless had excellent range.  The specs were better than Garmin.   Also someone from Garmin's agent expressed concern about Auckland Sky Tower interfering with Garmin wireless transducers.  B&G was confident about wireless performance.  

Installation was easy considering.  Did spend over an hour at the top of the mast drilling and fitting the mounting plate.  Then simply click in the transducer.  Plan, prepare and test on the ground before getting in the bosuns chair.  

So the far the Wireless Wind Transducer has been great.  Information is quick and seamless with the Triton2 instruments (and Vulcan).  No regrets.  

The B&G Triton2 with the Vulcan Plotter works well together.  Sometimes I don't like the numbers, but that's my sailing! 

Cheers    

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem said:

Have a friend who wants to install a new wind sensor.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the B&G WiFi ones that are charged by the wind and need no cables.

Anyone had experience with these?

Are they as good as the wired ones?

Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

I've sold or installed quite a few of these now. Not a single issue. In fact, B&G have discontinued the Triton 2 cabled versions, as they were not selling any anymore. But, you are mistaken, they are not wind powered, they are battery powered, charged by a small solar panel. Batts are expected to do 10yrs +, and are a simple AA pack.

Oh, and if you install one yourself, which is easy, the gotcha is to remember to pair the masthead unit to the sender on deck - must be within 300mm of each other for initial pairing, or to change a battery. So make certain it works on deck before putting the masthead unit on the mast, or you'll be going back up 2 x more!

• Upvote 1