Bay of Islands Sailing Week 2022

I don't understand why we need scientific peer reviewed papers to determine whether or not boats cause harm to dolphins.  Dolphins have been playing in bow waves for millenia. I don't understand why common sense can't be applied, both from the rule makers and boaters. It obviously causes harm if you coral, herd, drive through or chase dolphins. There are already a pile of rules around that - as far as I know those rules are nation wide and well known. And they existed in the BoI.

In terms of common sense with the rule makers, this story about the rule maker - DOC - speaks volumes. Couldn't organise a root in a whore house. When someone finally had a look at how much of a shambles they were, they had to shut down all field operations for 3 months... Fundamental systems and culture issues.

These are the same people that say you must stop sailing, apply the hand brake and stop you boat from moving if dolphins turn up... As far as I know, jetskis are the only watercraft equipped with brakes (cause jet ski riders are so thick they don't realise boats don't come with brakes)

The Department of Conservation has undertaken a sweep of actions to address "organisational deficiencies", primarily in its Whanganui District offices, highlighted by a near-fatal jet boat crash with a kayaker. An investigation resulted in all department field work in the Whanganui District stopping for 90 days from 23 April 2021, because "the significant volume of critical issues ... at any time could lead to another serious incident".

The investigation report, released under the Official Information Act and published online identified a range of issues including health and safety, leadership, and communication. It ultimately concluded issues went "deeper" than the singular crash and there were "organisation deficiencies" with opportunities to improve "operational excellence".

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/458760/boat-crash-report-highlights-doc-organisational-deficiencies

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem said:

YNZ sent in a submission against the proposal and consulted directly with DOC. Like all the other submissions against the proposal (including my own) the YNZ submission lacked scientific research and was not evidence based.  But I'd expect that for an organisation that doesn't employ or have marine scientists on hand.

Ynz only represent clubs, not salors

YNZ also reached out to all their member clubs for feedback as well. As a member of three Auckland clubs, I heard nothing from any of them about the sanctuary proposal.  I don't blame the clubs either, they are volunteer driven and have more than enough to deal with. 

This nearly always happens,  whatever the issue

DoC also held information sessions with local clubs and offered to run one in Auckland if there was interest. I posted if anyone would be interested in attending an Auckland session and received no interest. 

Most of us have given up

The submissions are publicly available, I have previously posted a link to them in another thread somewhere.  You can see what YNZ had to say. 

There simply isn't any scientific evidence or research to back up claims that sailing boats cause zero harm and all the harm is caused by motorized boats. 

Agree with it or not, numerous papers suggest that humans and their boats screw with dolphin behaviour.

Until someone commissions a piece of research into the effect of sail boats alone, sailboats are going to be lumped with "all boats". 

If someone is sitting on the evidence then they did the sailing community a disservice by not providing it to DOC or YNZ during the consultation period. 

BTW don't dolphins play in naturally occurring waves? 

46 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

BTW don't dolphins play in naturally occurring waves? 

Apparently they get addicted to naturally occurring waves, and, err, ocean swell. This also causes hardship and poor outcomes, because, oh, actually, that hasn't been studied yet, and there are no peer review scientific papers that describe the effect of natural waves on the social, economic and cultural outcomes of dolphins.

3 hours ago, Fish said:

Apparently they get addicted to naturally occurring waves, and, err, ocean swell. This also causes hardship and poor outcomes, because, oh, actually, that hasn't been studied yet, and there are no peer review scientific papers that describe the effect of natural waves on the social, economic and cultural outcomes of dolphins.

Addiction to waves caused me to get lost , hungry and outcast from my pod more than a few times 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Addiction to waves caused me to get lost , hungry and outcast from my pod more than a few times 

Amen brother! We all love waves especially ones that get the boat or board planing.

As usual the devil is in the deets; A marine sanctuary has been created and whatever we may think we have to abide by the rules. The penalties for not obeying them are severe, as in up to 100,000 and a year in jail. Pretty sure you would have to be reckless to earn that reward.

Doc's management is a trust issue between stakeholders and the crown; Do we trust that the science is sound and not just a stab in the dark inconveniencing boaties for no good reason. Their are already significant protections in place for marine mammals and the subject is highly emotive, boaties will not win public support to reduce protections or remove the sanctuary. As CD said there was a call for submissions and in the typical NZ fashion people left it up to others so I would imagine that highly motivated groups or individuals on the pro sanctuary side made a very strong case for it. 

Harassing marine mammals is common place and done in mostly in ignorance not malice, circling them to get a better view is not thought of as problematic and some people just drive on through groups without any thought. One of the reasons for the creation of the sanctuary is the massive drop in numbers of dolphins in the Bay and the significant factor arrived at was boat interactions. I remain skeptical that just bow riding is a major factor if the dolphins are locals to the area as its just so small- how can these animals get lost for example? Possibly its just the sheer numbers of boats, their noise etc that have an effect on the dolphins and as Fish mentions what about the food chain? 

Could it be that factors like the runoff from farms, developments etc has altered the marine environment in some way hitherto undiscovered? Anyway that's all moot now, when you are coming round Cape Brett at 2 in the morning on the next coastal be sure to leave your bowman on the foredeck on Dolphin watch and get ready to apply the handbrake at any time!

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Not knowing the handicap system intimately is DP celebrating a good handicap or distressed at a poor one?

I’m not sure but my last boat had a .798 handicap I think . Current boat is a bit a of caravan but I have a remote chance of beating Phil on handicap ! 

Handicaps aside. It's interesting they have gone to phrf for E division. I'm pretty sure last time it was general handicap. Will be interesting to see if that remains or effects numbers as it adds $100 or so to an already expensive week and I can't see the locals who made up half the fleet want to get phrfs for their etchels and solings

10 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Handicaps aside. It's interesting they have gone to phrf for E division. I'm pretty sure last time it was general handicap. Will be interesting to see if that remains or effects numbers as it adds $100 or so to an already expensive week and I can't see the locals who made up half the fleet want to get phrfs for their etchels and solings

Na they have two handicaps …If you have a current PHRF topyacht auto loads it with your entry and they do results for PHRF  . They also run EH alongside of that plus line results . Pretty good system really if you have a PHRF it’s another result to help flatten the troughs and peaks in your rating 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Psyche said:

Pretty sure that's one of the reasons why the evolution division in the ssanz was so popular, I don't really understand why phrf is so expensive when there are no changes to a boat. 

Yeah a bit of a rort if you can’t enter a race/series if you don’t have PHRF …like the CC for example it’s already hella expensive for the folks who aren’t millionaires