Half moon bay marina

Yes I went down G Pier earlier in the week. Gate pass worked as usual.  I think you could put it down as exercise. Last time I didn’t get there under L4 but I like to check things every week. 

Very quiet down there this morning (on the water at least). The ever-popular boardwalk was another story - too busy for my liking full of essential exercisers so I finished my coffee and headed back home.

6FD361D8-A555-4FFB-B000-52232ECEFC6D.jpeg

33 minutes ago, dutyfree said:

All Westhaven berth holders got a "the Police are coming to get you" text this week.  Not essential travel.

Yeah.

Previous lock down orders had a clause that classified 'protection of property' as essential travel.  So one could go to the boat, empty the bilges or check the batteries each fortnight. 

This time around that clause is gone. It might come back with level 3.

24 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

Yeah.

Previous lock down orders had a clause that classified 'protection of property' as essential travel.  So one could go to the boat, empty the bilges or check the batteries each fortnight. 

This time around that clause is gone. It might come back with level 3.

That is seriously disgraceful and where is the media outcry on this BS? 😬

Where can I find that CD?

And I wonder if insurance cos got that memo? Because every insurance contract has a clause that says owners must do their bit to take reasonable care of their property to prevent avoidable harm occurring … leading to an otherwise avoidable insurance claim. So if the govt is now preventing that this will cause some insurance claims to be declined because insurers can invoke their ‘failure to take reasonable care’ clause. At which point you should send your repair invoice to Dr Bloomfield.

12 minutes ago, Fogg said:

That is seriously disgraceful and where is the media outcry on this BS? 😬

Where can I find that CD?

And I wonder if insurance cos got that memo? Because every insurance contract has a clause that says owners must do their bit to take reasonable care of their property to prevent avoidable harm occurring … leading to an otherwise avoidable insurance claim. So if the govt is now preventing that this will cause some insurance claims to be declined insurers will invoke their ‘reasonable care’ cop-our clause. At which point you should send your repair invoice to Dr Bloomfield.

It's somewhere in a revoked gazette notice. You can see the revoked orders here https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-levels-and-updates/legislation-and-key-documents/

The original lock downs were done under the civil defence emergency act, you may recall they were found to be illegal... Since then the laws were written so that the cdem doesn't need to be invoked. 

Fwiw, your insurance company cannot legally enforce a contractual clause that requires you to break the law. 

Yes I know insurance contracts can never require you act illegally or benefit from illegal acts but this is a v grey area open to interpretation and I can easily see people being caught between two unfavourable interpretations - govt on one side and insurers on the other. Cantebury, anyone?

I know you and I have slightly different interpretations of UDHR but Article 17 sets out everyone’s basic human right to own (and protect) property, such as a boat.

So regardless of the the insurance angle, once again I see this lockdown as denying us freedoms that are enshrined in our human rights, such as freedom to travel and protect our property (all be it in a fair & reasonable ) way aka “a kind way” to use ‘their’ vernacular.

The latest restrictions on boating and even access to check on our boats breaks a basic social contract, in my mind. I can kind of accept a load of rules & restrictions if I get something in return, namely if things work better. But right now the state is hammering us with new rules & restrictions every week and they are mostly because things aren’t working well.

We’re in a downward spiral to the bottom…

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Maybe the rules have changed this time due to the nature of this virus being unknown compared to last time over cautious?? Maybe !

I see no difference checking a vessel to exercising in park. The only difference is not all live locally.

36 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Yes I know insurance contracts can never require you act illegally or benefit from illegal acts but this is a v grey area open to interpretation and I can easily see people being caught between two unfavourable interpretations - govt on one side and insurers on the other. Cantebury, anyone?

I know you and I have slightly different interpretations of UDHR but Article 17 sets out everyone’s basic human right to own (and protect) property, such as a boat.

So regardless of the the insurance angle, once again I see this lockdown as denying us freedoms that are enshrined in our human rights, such as freedom to travel and protect our property (all be it in a fair & reasonable ) way aka “a kind way” to use ‘their’ vernacular.

The latest restrictions on boating and even access to check on our boats breaks a basic social contract, in my mind. I can kind of accept a load of rules & restrictions if I get something in return, namely if things work better. But right now the state is hammering us with new rules & restrictions every week and they are mostly because things aren’t working well.

We’re in a downward spiral to the bottom…

By that logic people should be able to travel from Auckland to Whangamata to check on their bach... See the problem? 

Westhaven Marina staff have said they are available for urgent queries or concerns.  Once we get back into Level 3, while you possibly won't legally be able to visit your boat, any business will be able to assist you with maintenance. 

i believe the problem is that you can't comply with social distancing rules when on the pontoons. 2M is not possible. That's how it was explained to me down here in Whitianga marina.

In saying that, i have been down and run the engine and charged the batteries and not a word was said.

At L3 I fully expect to be able to travel within the region (like we did last time) and I intend to drive  up to GH to visit my boat.

Pontoon distances are fine - last time at GH at L3 if you saw another person one of you just paused a few feet to one side at the nearest finger, whilst the other person(s) passed. Was fine.

18 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

By that logic people should be able to travel from Auckland to Whangamata to check on their bach... See the problem? 

Yes we should be able to do that! But it’s a problem for the govt because they have failed to vaccinate enough of us. Hence they’ve made it everyone else’s problem and hammered us with L4.

In practical reality, you could do it OK if you got into your car and left your home area with a full tank and drove non-stop to your destination / bach / boat then no problem. The risk of course is that you might be tempted to stop and mix with the locals at some point. Which becomes a problem.

oh pulease.

Your boat is in a marina.  It doesn't need you to tuck it in at night.  The marina has security to ensure it is as safe as reasonably practicable and its no less safe during lockdown than any other time of year. 

Pretty sure your insurance agent isn't losing sleep over an increase in risk.  In fact, its risk has probably reduced since you are not out there nudging up against rocks and sh*t.

Baches get left for months at a time.  Its a non-problem.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

oh pulease.

Your boat is in a marina.  It doesn't need you to tuck it in at night.  The marina has security to ensure it is as safe as reasonably practicable and its no less safe during lockdown than any other time of year. 

Pretty sure your insurance agent isn't losing sleep over an increase in risk.  In fact, its risk has probably reduced since you are not out there nudging up against rocks and sh*t.

Baches get left for months at a time.  Its a non-problem.

But I think you’re taking the narrowest definition of ownership. The concept under UDHR doesn’t just mean the right to own something on paper - it means to enjoy ownership in the broadest sense which includes the amenity (to be able to legally access and enjoy utilising your property). Which we can’t.

And in terms of protection - I know my boat better than anyone else and how I last left it when I was expecting to return a few days later. And so it’s for me to decide whether my boat is doing OK without me - not anyone else!

• Upvote 1

Riiiight.  Try that on with your bank.  Let them know you will want to pop in a few times a month to access and enjoy the utilisation of your cash.  You could go full Scrooge McDuck and swim through pools of coins and notes.  🤣

1*2kLD3EnaJ-6INo0O-MvjzQ.jpeg

• Confused 1