Electric outboards

Anyone got one or bought one or researched them recently?

On my shopping list for this season.

Based on limited research was leaning towards Torqeedo or Epropulsion…

Spent a lot of time a few nights ago researching this yet again as I want a lightweight outboard that I can easily store below in regattas that allow it.

I have 6hp Suzuki 4 stroke but until I sold the Dragon I used the 2.5hp Suzuki 4 stroke a few times and it pushed us fine and fits in the locker. After many hours research on here and sailing anarchy I've decided to just get another Suzuki

The torqueedo is attractive for the ease of pulling apart to store but not much lighter and if you need 2 batteries heavier. Just way too expensive, even the carry bags are ludicrously expensive

Thanks for the mention Deep Purple.

It's not listed on our website yet but we can now offer the Torqeedo 603 which is a de-rated version of the 1103 with reduced battery capacity.

It saves you about $1000 and saves some weight too. Perfect if you just need to go out to a mooring and back. The 1103 has several hours running time at moderate speed, which is more than most people need.

The standard 1103 is only 8kg and the battery is only 8kg too, really light weight and you are perfectly balanced with one in each hand. You put them on the boat one at a time so you never have to lift more than 8kg.

How ironic - I’m right in the process of selling my Suzuki 6hp 4S (long shaft)!

The drivers are both weight plus ease of use. Last year my wife pulled her shoulder starting our o/b and I want to make it easier for her (she loves fishing from the dinghy and goes off alone and often back with supper which makes me happy).

I will keep my Yamaha 15hp 2S on the pushpit in case I need a bigger power / distance option for those 10% of occasions. But I reckon an electric o/b will be on the dinghy for the other 90%.

Where can I view / buy around Auckland?

I haven't written off the idea though and I'm sure I'll address it numerous times before January, but I need to be sure I can motor from Opua to Black Rocks and back against wind and tide with plenty spare. I need a mate to buy one so I can try it out.

The Torqeedo is 17.3kg and will last up to 6 hours, a Suzuki 2.5 is 13.5 plus 3.5kg of fuel for about the same range (and if you get short any number of guys around you can probably spare a litre)

The Torqeedo will pull apart and store easier.

A cover for the Suzuki is $82, for the Torqeedo $370

11 minutes ago, Fogg said:

In terms of range extension I presume you can buy a spare battery? And if I recall one make has a portable flexible solar panel that you can plug in?

The solar would need to be huge.  A 3kw motor vs a typical 150w roll-up solar panel means waiting 20 hours at full sun strength maximum efficiency to run the motor for less than an hour.  Realistically, more like 4 days wait.  In mid summer.

Which is not a reason not to change to electric - just a note of realism on the energy requirements.

7 hours ago, Fogg said:

Where can I view / buy around Auckland?

We (electric boat co) can arrange for you to view and/or pick up a Torqeedo 1103c at the distribution warehouse in Auckland after lockdown ends. We have two units of our stock down there and no Torqeedos left in Kerikeri at the moment, just a Combi 2.5kw H-Thruster left up here and 5kw inboards. Anything else we can order in from overseas. Not sure when new stock is coming in yet. We'll give you a better price than anyone in Auckland.

Shipping is expensive due to the lithium battery so Auckland pick up is a good idea if you can.

6 hours ago, Fogg said:

In terms of range extension I presume you can buy a spare battery? And if I recall one make has a portable flexible solar panel that you can plug in?

Yes, spare batteries are available and very easy to swap on and off at sea.

Hold off and try it out before buying a spare battery though - if you're gentle with the throttle then the 1103c battery lasts a couple of hours at normal speeds and all day at low speeds (depending on size of boat). It has a maximum power of 1.1kw which is enough to push a 1.5tonne boat at about 1 knot below hull speed or a 1 tonne boat at full hull speed. That means it'll push a little dinghy around all day long as long as you resist that temptation to make more waves at hull speed without going any faster.

Torqeedo do offer a portable solar panel but it's small and pricey. Assuming you're using it on a dinghy, better to have big, cheap solar panels on the mothership and then charge the Torqeedo battery in 3 hours with the standard 300w mains charger through an inverter running off the mothership battery bank.

6 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

The solar would need to be huge.  A 3kw motor vs a typical 150w roll-up solar panel means waiting 20 hours at full sun strength maximum efficiency to run the motor for less than an hour.  Realistically, more like 4 days wait.  In mid summer.

Which is not a reason not to change to electric - just a note of realism on the energy requirements.

Do you really need 3kw? that would be adequate for a 3 tonne displacement boat.

For the Cruise 2 and larger motors you use a separate 24v or 48v battery(s) inside the boat, then you can just use a regular solar panel and charger. Our 4m catamarans have a 320w solar panel and a 1.1kw motor. We don't need to plug them in unless we get multiple bookings on the same day or consecutive cloudy days.

Our 1.1 tonne English river launch has 640w of solar and we've never had to plug her in. With a 6m waterline she'll cruise at 5 knots on 1kw of power or 6 knots on 2kw. We limit her to about 750w for hire customers to make sure she can't exceed the 5 knot speed limit with the wind behind.

Considering stoppage time and the fact that we mostly like to go boating on sunny days, a smallish (1m x1.6m) solar panel is adequate for a 4m x 2m boat and you'll almost never need to charge it unless you have a really intense continuous duty cycle like a ferry running back and forth all day or you want planing speeds.

Roll up and "flexible" solar panels tend to be either very expensive or very unreliable. I'd just go for a the biggest standard alloy framed solar panel(s) you can fit. They last decades, produce several times more power and cost very little. Just need to find a place to put the ugly thing!

7 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

I haven't written off the idea though and I'm sure I'll address it numerous times before January, but I need to be sure I can motor from Opua to Black Rocks and back against wind and tide with plenty spare. I need a mate to buy one so I can try it out.

We've got a Torqeedo Cruise 2kw you can try out on the water here in Kerikeri, also a few other electric boats. You can see the power consumption of the Cruise on the display. Run it at 1.1kw and you'll get an idea of the power of the Travel 1103c. You'll be surprised how little power you use as long as you keep a knot or two below hull speed.

Range depends on the shape and size of boat and factors like headwinds can make a big difference. Above all, you'll use way more power if you're in a hurry!

Please tell us a bit more about your boat and how you use it, then I'll take a guess at the battery capacity you need.

15 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Spent a lot of time a few nights ago researching this yet again as I want a lightweight outboard that I can easily store below in regattas that allow it.

I have 6hp Suzuki 4 stroke but until I sold the Dragon I used the 2.5hp Suzuki 4 stroke a few times and it pushed us fine and fits in the locker. After many hours research on here and sailing anarchy I've decided to just get another Suzuki

The torqueedo is attractive for the ease of pulling apart to store but not much lighter and if you need 2 batteries heavier. Just way too expensive, even the carry bags are ludicrously expensive

Just be aware you will all have to sit at the back and hoisting the main can get tricky when crew go forward if it’s fresh or bumpy 

5 hours ago, syohana said:

We've got a Torqeedo Cruise 2kw you can try out on the water here in Kerikeri, also a few other electric boats. You can see the power consumption of the Cruise on the display. Run it at 1.1kw and you'll get an idea of the power of the Travel 1103c. You'll be surprised how little power you use as long as you keep a knot or two below hull speed.

Range depends on the shape and size of boat and factors like headwinds can make a big difference. Above all, you'll use way more power if you're in a hurry!

Please tell us a bit more about your boat and how you use it, then I'll take a guess at the battery capacity you need.

What’s the weight of the 2KW with the battery ? 

Having sold many Torqeedos here, i would caution against thinking of them as other than a dinghy auxiliary. I got scotts landing to warkworth and back on a charge, slowly with a 9' easily driven Townson dinghy, that was with the latest biggest battery. If you want to see the world price of these just look up the UK sites rather illuminating with real life comparisons of the positives and negatives. DP for your usage profile you made the right move. 

The local agent is Power Equipment the Australian company in Albany.