Electric outboards

1 hour ago, 44forty said:

What’s the weight of the 2KW with the battery ? 

The 2kw Torqeedo (5hp equivalent) motor is 15kg. The Combi is a bit heavier. You can use any suitable 24v battery.

Lead acid batteries are cheap but heavy. Any size available.

A Torqeedo 3.5kwh lithium battery is 25kg.

A 5kwh Juice lithium battery made in NZ is 53kg.

11 hours ago, syohana said:

We (electric boat co) can arrange for you to view and/or pick up a Torqeedo 1103c at the distribution warehouse in Auckland after lockdown ends. We have two units of our stock down there and no Torqeedos left in Kerikeri at the moment, just a Combi 2.5kw H-Thruster left up here and 5kw inboards. Anything else we can order in from overseas. Not sure when new stock is coming in yet. We'll give you a better price than anyone in Auckland.

Shipping is expensive due to the lithium battery so Auckland pick up is a good idea if you can.

Ok thanks for the offer. Let me do a bit more research and I’ll let you know if I want to take you up on the offer.

Ok, looks like the 1103C is the best option for me.

To save me shopping the world and getting a friend in US or Europe buying + sending to me what’s your best price for the unit itself + carry bag + protective cover all inc?

Or if you prefer to do via PM then drop me a note.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Fogg said:

Ok, looks like the 1103C is the best option for me.

To save me shopping the world and getting a friend in US or Europe buying + sending to me what’s your best price for the unit itself + carry bag + protective cover all inc?

Or if you prefer to do via PM then drop me a note.

Cheers

Hi Fogg,

Unfortunately there are a lot of middle men in the Torqeedo supply chain. Despite the apparently high price we have much tighter margins on Torqeedo than the brands we can import direct from the manufacturer and distribute ourselves. Please email sales AT electricboat.co.nz and we'll see what is the best we can do for you. We'll certainly beat any other NZ price though.

Lithium batteries of that size require special and expensive shipping. Airfrieght is pretty much impossible. Then there's import duty, fumigation, GST, MPI costs on top and a ton of paperwork. I'm afraid importing it yourself is a big headache and won't save you any money once you add it all up. 

Thanks!

When I studied electrical engineering some 40 years ago some mechanical engineer students built a ram-jet driven bicycle. Think Nazi buzz-bomb engine mated to bicycle frame. I never saw it in action but I heard it. It was VERY noisy.

/Martin

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, MartinRF said:

When I studied electrical engineering some 40 years ago some mechanical engineer students built a ram-jet driven bicycle. Think Nazi buzz-bomb engine mated to bicycle frame. I never saw it in action but I heard it. It was VERY noisy.

/Martin

For one of my boats we costed up the Cruise 20hp equivalent with Torqeedo battery when the weight went beyond a 20HP electronic four stroke Suzuki plus still the weight of the battery and cost neared $80000 and the Suzuki was $5000.00 odd -plus I can go as far as I like at full throttle my mind was made up.

The boys at Beacon will do you a sharp deal on e-propulsion Fogg.

After a few days research I've decided to go with ePropulsion (still deciding on the Spirit Plus vs the slightly newer Evo).

I spoke to a few people who have used both ePropulsion and Torqeedo and they both seem to be good quality units with their own pros & cons.

The Torqeedo fans will point to it's German heritage and longer track-record. Whereas fans of the newer ePropulsion point out that the company originates from the same (Chinese) incubator that gave birth to DJI Drones (the world's largest & most successful drone company). And whilst newer, the early signs of ePropulsion are encouraging with several examples of design detail enhancements happening quite quickly in response to customer feedback being listened to.

In terms of side-by-side comparison the points that swung it to ePropulsion for me:

1. Bigger battery (40% more)

2. Longer-run time (50% more)

3. Faster charge time (about 20% better I think)

4. Cheaper

5. A couple of cool innovative features e.g. the battery floats in case you accidentally dropped it into the drink!

And finally, I have a lot respect for this guy who reviews a lot of high quality gear (anchors, dinghies, charging systems, outboards etc). And his initial experience with ePropulsion has been great. And I talked to him overnight and he confirmed that after more time it's still all as good as it looked & operated on day 1. So if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

The price of the unit I have my eye on (above) is around $3,600. Which is a hefty price for a small ~3hp unit and not to everyone’s taste. But to me the premium is worth paying to get the lightness and ease of use (especially for rest of my family who are not confident using a pull chord to start a petrol outboard). So for me the justification is that I’m not comparing like-with-like, I’m buying a totally different animal.

Even better, for the reasons of ease of use, it has family approval to spend the $ and they’re looking forward to trying it! 😊