Electric outboards

Yes which is why I’m prepared to make the leap to an Eo/b now but not an EV.

With cars we usually buy used but recent models but for an EV it might be the one time I buy new to get the best / most recent battery tech and no previous recharge cycles. But it feels just too soon so will probably do one more cycle of replacing our cars with petrol again and then switch one of the family cars to EV in about 4 yrs time.

Besides, I know DoT loves my V8… 😊

• Upvote 1

Reducing the cars people own would always be the best option. The idea we can mitigate our impact on climate without a major change in lifestyle is farcical. Families/households with two or more cars should be reducing to one car and adapting to meet that change.

My household, with four working adult drivers has one car. I occasionally hire a Cityhop car or van (eg: to load up the boat), but otherwise get by with bike, walking and bus.

Yes, some people have set up their lives around unlimited access to car travel. They need to adapt: live/work/play closer to where they work/live/play. The earth's climate does not listen to their excuses, and everyone on the earth should not pay for their choices.

Buying an EV (new or used) would be clearly the second best option.

Families/households with two cars could switch over their most used car to be an EV right now with virtually no impact on their lifestyle.

As people get more used to EVs they will get less stressed about range. People will start to buy EVs with lower ranges, realising that the smaller, lighter and cheaper cars still meet their requirements.

Anyone who chooses to keep multiple cars, can afford an EV (new or used) and chooses an ICE vehicle instead is deliberately shitting on the world of their children and grandchildren.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Back on topic (which I’m guilty of taking towards EVs), I’ve now ordered the ePropulsion + package of goodies. The dealer said it should be here (in NZ) in September.

He didn’t say which year…

• Upvote 1

Mainly because floating the big power companies incentivised them to keep generation as close as possible to demand (increases prices), so they chose not to build a number of large wind farms that were already consented.

I think that Fogg's approach is evidence of the phase we are in- transition. Use the electric pixies as much as possible and dinosaur juice if required. The same will happen with cars, but I think that unless there is a revolution in battery or charging tech,  diesel will be around for a long time in boats. The good news is that we have sails, a much more efficient use of petrochemicals!

The best use case for electric is things that see the high use. Cars that do lots of km every week, delivery vans and trucks, rubbish trucks, buses, should all be high on the list. There is a higher up front cost, but with savings on fuel and maintenance the payback is rapid.

A typical yacht with an existing diesel does very few hours per year and is not worth swapping to electric, even though the efficiency below hull speed would make them easy to run.

• Upvote 1