Electric outboards

Whats interesting about the above link (thread drift I know) is that Cummins is investing so much into the tech and as an aside, one of the methods of charging an electric bus is via pantograph. Cue trolley buses, what's old is new again!

4 hours ago, Psyche said:

one of the methods of charging an electric bus is via pantograph. Cue trolley buses, what's old is new again!

That is not typically charging, it is direct feed to the bus motor, same as a train. Vancouver (amongst other cities) has trolley buses, I remember when when working there in 2017 often seeing the drivers at the rear getting in some target practice to get get the booms back on the overhead wires. Their buses had small battery packs, maybe 5-10km range

Understood, I was referring to the Auckland buses in the 60's that ran on pantographs, this time its different as it charges buses at a station but apparently the tech uses a very high DC current. The old trolley buses would often lose contact, stop and the drivers would go around the back relocating the arms.

The trains run panto graphs up to the wires. There are variants (which Auckland briefly ordered and then cancelled) that include a battery system. They charge where there are wires, but can run under battery power where there aren't. I assume the same could be done with buses.

Back to electric outboards 

80 Ah lithium in a box with 50A fuse strapped to the transom. 9kg

minnkota C30FDF35B59-6DAC-466D-8BD1-668A3BF3FB57.thumb.jpeg.d180642b79bfaf9785901629b779d73e.jpeg

does what it should, charges from the main battery on the boat through a victron  Orion DC/DC converter.

Doing it again I’d probably get the next or two models up as she’s a mite slow, and I’ll likely put a 500A shunt and a victron bms700 on the battery box to monitor charge. But seems to do a few trips back n forth without running flat. Charges in an hour or two at 18-20amps, so likely had still a bit in it.

3CAC293E-683D-4012-9676-4FC7DDFD1876.thumb.jpeg.dc17d043e5bb75b237b2c645f6865fff.jpeg  

AC7B8B67-4935-442C-AE6B-133802A32403.thumb.jpeg.6ff26bf78e89ad82e9ffe9c52ca59baa.jpeg

• Upvote 1