Coastal Classic

28 minutes ago, Norwegian Blue said:

Likelihood of the raceĀ happening this year? Going to be challengingĀ getting Cat3 sorted in time šŸ™

I reckon it's very likely.

Hopefully we're in Level 3 by the 14th.Ā  Even if that's delayed a week we'll enter Level 3 on the 21st.

Assume level 3/2 combo for 4 weeks - worst case? Worst case Auckland hits the same level as Northland on October 19th?Ā 

No reason why you can't get the boat inspected and seaworthy during Level 3 and get your entry in.

It obvisously depends, but personally I think it's looking promising.Ā 

Ā 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Island Time said:

Actually, I dont think an inspection can be done at level 3 - certainly not with an owner aboard. Bubbles still exist in level 3...

Inspection is a business.

Last time, businesses such as mobile tradespeople (plumber, electrician, locksmith) could all operate in peoples homes so long as distancing, ppe and contact tracing was in place.Ā 

The inspector would be responsible for all health and safety issues that go along with it.Ā 

Ultimately the decision would rest with business managing the service to determine if they could meet the h&s rules.Ā 

Ā 

Owner could stand on the dock to field questions ? Or in my case on the ground .

definitely going to be a mad rush for us to get cat 3 in time .

This will be the 2nd time Iā€™ve gotten cat 3 for a boat thatā€™s been an empty shell and needs 100% of the trinkets on the list ā€¦hate that list !Ā 

I'm not sure you can even do that. Can you take your boat home? Or to the supermarket carpark? Or closest park?

At Alert Level 3, you legally must stay within your household bubble whenever you are not at work or school

You can travel within your local area, for example going to work or school, shopping, or getting exercise.Ā Your local area means the area near your home that you regularly visit for essential services

Now is not the time to take up new activities, or expose yourself or your bubble to any risk. You can do low-risk recreation activities in your local area

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

I'm not sure you can even do that. Can you take your boat home? Or to the supermarket carpark? Or closest park?

Ā 

Still trying to decide if that includes slipping overboard and cleaning underneath my home so I don't fall foul of the rules around dirty bottoms.

I had organised my boat to come out of the water on the 8th of September to do some final Cat 3 tasks, but this is not going to happen given what hasĀ just been announced.

As I understand it, at level 3 I can row out to it as it's moored within 200m of the shore, but I can't move it from its mooring until Level 2.

Purchasing stuff (particularly electrical bits & pieces) is proving very challenging under level 4.

The organising authority may need to consider allowing skipper declaration on Cat 3 to make this event go ahead, its a two year cert so half the fleet should have one ? And maybe safety checks at the finish for a large percentage of the fleet.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Jon said:

The organising authority may need to consider allowing skipper declaration on Cat 3 to make this event go ahead, its a two year cert so half the fleet should have one ? And maybe safety checks at the finish for a large percentage of the fleet.

Bloody good idea Jon

It could be part of the entry requirements.

Photos of the usual equipment Ā - anchors / flares / first aid etc

Declaration of date of rig check by skipper and one crew / bubble

Picture of life ring light, throw line set up in cockpit

Ā 

Job done.