Coastal Classic

11 minutes ago, 44forty said:

There must be a few boats that could host 50 people on Saturday night ? 

How about having the band play on the end of the wharf or boat/barge and people anchor and raft up close. 

If there was a big raft up then how many are we allowed per boat? 

Rogue's good for at least 20-25 and the the new stereo should be sufficient for a cockpit dance floor. 

1 hour ago, B00B00 said:

How about having the band play on the end of the wharf or boat/barge and people anchor and raft up close. 

If there was a big raft up then how many are we allowed per boat? 

Rogue's good for at least 20-25 and the the new stereo should be sufficient for a cockpit dance floor. 

Band on the wharf would work …100 people allowed outside so a few socially seperate raft ups would cover a few hundred people 

Not that I can do this race unless the size limit has changed, but I'm loving the way you guys are thinking. Where there's a will, there's a way etc.

I hope it gets the green light, and can happen- those of you stuck in Auckland must be chomping at the bit by now. 

Although on a very selfish level, another week would let me finish the new rudder blade before going back to work.

3 hours ago, madyottie said:

Not that I can do this race unless the size limit has changed, but I'm loving the way you guys are thinking. Where there's a will, there's a way etc.

I hope it gets the green light, and can happen- those of you stuck in Auckland must be chomping at the bit by now. 

Although on a very selfish level, another week would let me finish the new rudder blade before going back to work.

6.5m is the current limit - add a pointy stick out the front?

There's a Piedy (Suspect Device) entered this year.  Not sure how they get Cat 3 without stanchions, but I also don't know how the Melges 40's, with their carbon-fibre stanchions, get Cat 3 either.  Where there's a will there's a way I guess...

My problem is getting my life jackets and fire xts serviced so my Cat 3 is current - an annual September boat task ;-/

7 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

6.5m is the current limit - add a pointy stick out the front?

There's a Piedy (Suspect Device) entered this year.

I guess they've eased up on the size. At one point, the last time I thought about it, there was a 24foot minimum length.

At 6.5 I could be in, no sticky out bits required. I'll give the '22 race some consideration, haven't tested the boat enough for this years race yet.

I think the Piedys are talking to Yachting NZ directly about a class dispensation for lifelines, as the safety they provide can more practically be achieved with harnesses, tethers and jackstays.

I think it would be awesome to have a fleet of Piedys sending it up each year. The bay will definitely know when they arrive!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
On 14/09/2021 at 10:02 AM, Adrianp said:

I think the Piedys are talking to Yachting NZ directly about a class dispensation for lifelines, as the safety they provide can more practically be achieved with harnesses, tethers and jackstays.

I think it would be awesome to have a fleet of Piedys sending it up each year. The bay will definitely know when they arrive!

From memory pidies that did PYBC 2 handed race had to have jack lines in place instead of life lines but that was cat 4.

At the online race clinic last night, they covered some draft plans for a virtual Cat3 inspection and possible temporary extension for recently expired certs.  It will certainly help to avoid the mad rush that will occur when we come out of lockdown.

• Upvote 3
On 14/09/2021 at 7:36 AM, Deep Purple said:

Cat3 lifelines are the usual stumbling block to small boats

I read on the Suspect Device FB page, that they don't require lifelines as a classic yacht exemption. I'm thinking that 1970-ish construction probably allows me the same.

Maybe next year.

But first I'll try racing a few piedys around the cans. 

2 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Stewart 34s have to fit stanchions for the Coastal. I think the same would apply for Piedies and others.

Stanchions are a Cat 3 requirement, there's no exemption in the safety rules.  So any exemption is outside the rules and provided by YNZ.  OAs can consult with YNZ to get an exemption approved for their race, which MHYC did for the life raft requirement.

If they do it for the Piedy's then they can do it for the s34's - an s34 division going up the coast would be good to see.

1 hour ago, Battleship said:

That's great.

The thing I find most interesting on that is the 'life jacket self service declaration'.

Is this a one off to compensate for people who cannot get life jackets serviced in time due to lock down, or has this always been an option?

I have asked in the past about self servicing and been told it's not an option. 

Anyone successfully used a life jacket self service declaration for Cat 3 before? 

12 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

That's great.

The thing I find most interesting on that is the 'life jacket self service declaration'.

Is this a one off to compensate for people who cannot get life jackets serviced in time due to lock down, or has this always been an option?

I have asked in the past about self servicing and been told it's not an option. 

Anyone successfully used a life jacket self service declaration for Cat 3 before? 

Yes, but normally it only allows that if the jacket's manufacturer allows it. Some do, some don't. I don't buy jackets that require a dealer service.