Paint problems

Hi guys, 

Any recommendations for removing what appears to be a really good 2pot paint from aging gelcoat?

I've tried the heat method but it seems to soften the gelcoat instead of the paint, which could create a whole new raft of problems.

The moderate heat and wire brush seems to work on the kiwigrip over the 2pot, but I'd really like to get it back to the factory moulded non-slip, so I know what the substrate is like.

Any and all ideas welcomed!!

Thanks

@madyottie  iirc you are in north Wiakato area?

Call Jeremy on 021 338 556.  He grit-blasted our yacht and then several others at Panmure earlier this year.  Nice guy.  All different substrates (ply, GRP, ali) everyone happy with the outcome.  He does agricultural soda and grit blasting in Waikato so should be able to help you out with advice.

On 6/09/2021 at 9:54 AM, aardvarkash10 said:

@madyottie  iirc you are in north Wiakato area?

Call Jeremy on 021 338 556.  He grit-blasted our yacht and then several others at Panmure earlier this year.  Nice guy.  All different substrates (ply, GRP, ali) everyone happy with the outcome.  He does agricultural soda and grit blasting in Waikato so should be able to help you out with advice.

Thanks 👍

I'll get in touch with him.