No more scallops from Mercury Island and Whitianga

2 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Eastern Coromandel scallop rahui was only a few months too, now it's 2 years

Funny how they closed the area so quick,Rahui then total ban via MPI/Fisheries. Yet Waiheke has a Rahui no scallop/paua/crayfish(unenforceable voluntary)and MPI/Fisheries are still deciding.

I scallop dive.  Dont cray dive, but often go along for the views.  Dont support dredging, but also get that not everyone can dive.  Not everyone can fish either, thats what shops are for.

I think the scallop take limits should be reduced. There are more people and finite scallop areas (that we know of).

I fish, never take the limit.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, dutyfree said:

I scallop dive

Love my seafood but scallops/paua Hmm take them or leave not fussed. Yes will be having a conversation on Sunday morning with Legasea via phone,we seem to be getting in to arguments via f/b. Agree more of us reccs ,we need a reduction if we are serious on sustainability. Used a dredge a couple of time with a old fella and said the secret is the prongs to be of right angle to lift scallop and tow at a speed so not as to be anchored.He claimed shop brought wrong angle,people tow to fast and they bounce

I get why people dredge, but there is only a finite amount to take.  We either reduce demand or increase supply, one seems easier than the other.

Diving is very conscious choice and not that convenient.  Dredging is poor anchoring :) 

11 hours ago, Island Time said:

I'm with DP. Dredging should be banned. If you have ever watched one go along the bottom, and see what it does, you'd agree. Can't dive? Bludge off a mate, or go to the fish shop.

Problem with that IT is :how do the shops get scallops ? But it's better to decide how to do it once beds recover rather than totally deplete and wonder how that happened. I'm assuming it's a total ban and none of this customary BS. 

• Like 1

And now all scallops closed to commercial and recreational in Northland, Hauraki, and Coromandel (apart from 2 small areas).

Depleted scallop fisheries in upper North Island to close after drop in numbers

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/464193/depleted-scallop-fisheries-in-upper-north-island-to-close-after-drop-in-numbers

Yes a bit ironic as the two small areas are 80+ metres deep and are the seed beds for the entire area and only accessible to commercial.

These two beds were unknown until a few years ago and commercial interests got the powers that be to open up the commercial take from 33 shucked tonnes to 330 shucked tonnes because of these areas, this season the commercial take has only been 17 shucked tonnes 

So now they close all areas that recreational fishers can access.

easy to see who pays the piper.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jon said:

Yes a bit ironic as the two small areas are 80+ metres deep and are the seed beds for the entire area and only accessible to commercial.

These two beds were unknown until a few years ago and commercial interests got the powers that be to open up the commercial take from 33 shucked tonnes to 330 shucked tonnes because of these areas, this season the commercial take has only been 17 shucked tonnes 

So now they close all areas that recreational fishers can access.

easy to see who pays the piper.

The whole sca1 is closed except a area by little barrier and western coromandel.Customary take is still allowed but reduced tonnage.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/50542-Minister-for-Oceans-and-Fisheries-decision-letter-Review-of-sustainability-measures-for-selected-fish-stocks-April-2022-round

Surveys carried out in 2021 show an overall decline in the biomass and abundance in both SCA 1 and SCA CS from historical levels, with substantive declines in many core scallop beds since the previous survey. It is considered that the current biomass and abundance of scallops in SCA 1 and SCA CS are at levels that do not support sustainable fishing at the current catch limits and allowances. To promote the recovery of the Northern scallop stocks, I have decided to impose a full closure of SCA 1 for all commercial and recreational utilisation and a partial closure of SCA CS, permitting sustainable utilisation of Little Barrier and Colville Channel only.

I have decided to use sustainability measures provided for in section 11 of the Fisheries Act 1996 to implement closures of all of SCA 1 and most of SCA CS to the harvest of scallops. I have also decided to make changes to the TAC, allowances and TACC for both stocks.

Within the two open areas, both commercial and recreational take will continue to be permitted. I acknowledge there are views that the method of dredging should be completely removed, however there is not currently a viable alternative to dredging for commercial scallop fisheries. As such, dredging, both commercial and recreational, will be permitted to continue in the two open areas

The customary allowance will remain unchanged at 7.5 tonnes to recognise that customary fishing is not prohibited under a section 11 closure.

it's still a 10 million dollar fishery there for the taking. Everyone knows where it is so just steam on out and mow the lawns, come back to port and collect the $$ or is it harder than that?

Death of the scallops: How a Kiwi delicacy was driven to the brink of collapse

The scallop industry went from a booming moneymaker to a near standstill in the space of just 10 years. Fishing groups point the finger at environmental degradation, while marine advocates and iwi blame destructive fishing techniques. Ryan Anderson reports.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/300565925/death-of-the-scallops-how-a-kiwi-delicacy-was-driven-to-the-brink-of-collapse

6 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Death of the scallops: How a Kiwi delicacy was driven to the brink of collapse

The scallop industry went from a booming moneymaker to a near standstill in the space of just 10 years. Fishing groups point the finger at environmental degradation, while marine advocates and iwi blame destructive fishing techniques. Ryan Anderson reports.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/300565925/death-of-the-scallops-how-a-kiwi-delicacy-was-driven-to-the-brink-of-collapse

Kaipara closed 5yrs no sign of recovery, top of the south no recovery and it will be the same for gulf/northland, why??Toheroa havent recovered in over 30yrs closure, too many people,allowonces to high

https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/2022/seasick-saving-hauraki-gulf/

Got 2 hrs to waste have listen,still no answers and will still be talking in 20yrs time,recc v comm v greenies. Bit like we need a bus stop but not outside my place. Local Govt or The fisheries minister need too step up and just say its closed as of now ,no taking zone 5yrs.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Psyche said:

Dredging the breeding areas? Its a bit like the handwringing over the snapper fishery, yet they allow fishing in spawning season. If we go down the list there appears to be some pretty basic mismanagement of our fisheries  https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/44896-Stock-status-table-for-fish-stocks

I guess we can do our bit by not buying them either

The average Kiwi family generally can't afford to buy fish in the first place. Let alone scallops.

I remember a country calendar program about the Flounder fishery in the Marlborough Sounds having failed and not recovering. The local commercial flounder (Once upon a time) fisherman didn't seem to be able to join the dots that he may have had some responsibility. All natural resources are finite!!!