No more scallops from Mercury Island and Whitianga

New rules if I have interpreted right. 7 snapper 3 kings 5 kahawai 5gurnard?? as previous wa 7 snapper 3 kings 10 kahawai 10 gurnard 20 bag limit + allownce on species. Stops the plunder of pink maomao only 20 now instead of unliited.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/consultations/review-of-recreational-daily-bag-limits-for-finfish/

For example, a fisher in the Auckland/Kermadec, Central or Challenger areas can take three kingfish and up to 17 other finfish to make up their daily limit of 20.

I used to be an obsessive plunderer of fish , especially kingfish . I would be happy with 1 kingfish , 1  snapper and 1 kahawai . Even then that would be far more than my family “needed” . If you “need” more take more people on the boat . Recreational fishing is a first world “want” for the vast majority of people in this country ….the cost of an average tinny would feed a residential street on bought salmon , tuna and scallops for a few  years . Average tinny round here would be 100k .

• Upvote 2

I had a thread here on this forum maybe 06? 10? Called Scallop dredge wankers.

That was after witnessing appalling behaviour and waste at the mercs by you guessed it.... Scallop dredge wankers. 

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

I used to be an obsessive plunderer of fish , especially kingfish . I would be happy with 1 kingfish , 1  snapper and 1 kahawai . Even then that would be far more than my family “needed” . If you “need” more take more people on the boat . Recreational fishing is a first world “want” for the vast majority of people in this country ….the cost of an average tinny would feed a residential street on bought salmon , tuna and scallops for a few  years . Average tinny round here would be 100k .

Its a bit of a wake up how much people spend on their trailer boat "rig" and by the time you add a 4x4 its most of the way to a decent keeler

1 hour ago, Psyche said:

Its a bit of a wake up how much people spend on their trailer boat "rig" and by the time you add a 4x4 its most of the way to a decent keeler

The top end rigs plus the tow vehicle would put you at the pointy end of the Auckland keeler fleet …not sure if it would pay for the team van as well though ? 

52 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Quite right Machina I know of a few 'Tinnys' that cost TP52 money without the tow vehicle, mind you when they park them behind the dairy shed they dont have to organise crew or buy sails......

Or to be fair, to pay marina costs, which is a biggie. 

• Upvote 1

Always had aspirations to get into a D28 or similar. The move away from any DIY maintenance and compliance just makes the entire concept out of reach.. Looks like we'll stick to the tinny in the front yard. 

4 hours ago, Psyche said:

Here you go;

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/300570795/seasick-is-the-quota-system-the-best-way-to-sustain-our-fisheries-for-future-generations

Do we need a fundamental rethink here, good questions about who "owns" the fishery. 

Yup a bit like who owns the sand “he who has access to supreme legal weight and the ability to take”.