Defining a blue-water cruiser

19 hours ago, Island Time said:

New 60 ft boats are beyond most people, especially his ones, which are nice, but certainly not budget vessels. 
I watched the video, marketing stuff for his boats IMO. To say bolted on keels are not structurally up to crossing oceans is simply wrong, and to use Cheeki Rafiki as an example (a boat with existing damage from grounding, not properly repaired, and a lot of blue water hard racing use) is, IMO misleading. Look at the stats for the round the world rallies etc, there are a lot - the majority of the fleet - of production boats crossing oceans every year, almost all without issues.

However, I believe that, as he points out, the EU standards for offshore, Ocean A, is way to low. 5m waves and 40 knot winds should be expected, and considerably more on occasion. The last thing any skipper or crew needs, is to think the boat isn’t up to the conditions….

I am glad that my keel is integral, the idea of running into something and having to then check (and possibly repair) the keel is pretty scary.  OK when you are around the gulf but in the middle of the ocean, bad weather forecast.........8>(  Also, most AWBs have a "liner" poo'd in.  That would be number one on my "no f'in way" list.

Just now, Dtwo said:

I am glad that my keel is integral, the idea of running into something and having to then check (and possibly repair) the keel is pretty scary.  OK when you are around the gulf but in the middle of the ocean, bad weather forecast.........8>(  Also, most AWBs have a "liner" poo'd in.  That would be number one on my "no f'in way" list.

There is no such thing as an Integral keel 😈 , but I know what you mean. A properly attached keel IS integral. Bolts or resin are irrelevant, either can fail, and certainly a reef, or other external force of sufficient magnitude can remove a keel regardless of attachment method. The issue is proper engineering, and making the keel attachment fit for purpose. Modern performance keels of high aspect ratio are hard to attach. Older, wider, and longer keels are easier...

30 minutes ago, Dtwo said:

there have been more than a few encapsulated/integral keel failures over the years as well, plenty of pictures on the web. Some of the failures have revealed extremely dubious materials being used for the ballast.  Lead being relatively soft absorbs a lot of energy in a serious hit, just need to ensure the hull structure is up to taking the loads from the keelbolts and the keel wanting to thrust against the hull at it's trailing edge.