Watchkeeping on commercial vessels

DoT

Haha. Just before i went north this year i witnessed an extremely low speed collision between two very, very, very expensive cars.

Neither driver was prepared to give way and they crept toward each other at less than walking speed. Lots of broken glass and dented panels.

I laughed. I guess I am a bad person. 

• Haha 1

The Rose Harmony’s third officer saw the Leila Jo when it was 5.6 kilometres away, observed the two vessels being on a potential collision course, and told the ship’s master several times, the report said.

“But the bridge team did nothing about it until it was too late.”

The Leila Jo’s deckhand – the sole watch keeper – saw on radar a vessel leaving Lyttelton, but did not investigate further.

The captain of the Rose Harmony is now a deckhand and the deckhand of Liela Jo is now a floor sweeper at pns?

That's nuts. Travelling at 21 knots in thick fog banks and relying solely on radar is simply unsafe for other vessels on the harbour. Surprising they haven't run down many more boats with that approach.