Doubtful sound

3 hours ago, shannon said:

Hi I'm wondering if anyone here would have advice about trailering a Farr 6000 over from Manapouri and sailing Doubtful sound? weather advice and anchorages mainly...

How is this possible?

How can you get your vehicle/trailer to West Arm? 

The road from West Arm to Doubtful (Wilmot Pass Road) is a private road, they have a irregular bus that runs from the West Arm visitors centre.

I wasn't aware private vehicles could be taken to West Arm or even over Wilmot Pass. 

Or do they have a trailer service at West Arm that's compatible with any boat? 

Quite a few have done this (its on my list too...) a bit of organising with the barge across manapouri and then over the pass . by all accounts Feb/ early March is the time most likely to give moderately settled weather. "Sailing Taranto" on youtube gives a bit of info on the area, and encouragement to go as well. The boaties guide to  fiordland i understand will give a mine of info. I'd be keen to hear first hand from people that have done this trip as well

Yes i believe there is a trailer service over wilmot pass so thats no worries its more the anchorages/anchoring in doubtful sound itself and best weather window and by the sounds of it Feb is the time to go. I was thinking sail across Manapouri then trailer from there...

By all means if there are other boats keen to do it then lets get something happening if there are keen people..

19 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

How is this possible?

How can you get your vehicle/trailer to West Arm? 

There is a guy there with a truck and trailer who you pay to take you down to Doubtful Sound. My parents did it in their Ramco 6.5m tinny.

• Upvote 1

Was down there for 2 weeks kayaking in feb this year,a bloke runs a service with a big trailor which fits most boats,its no drama getting in.Its a long way out of the sound to any secure anchorage,closest would be Blanket Bay.Weather turns to sh*t fast down there with no warning,we got caught in 60 knot squalls in our kayaks.Take heaps of fuel and research all anchorages before you head down.Great place to be on a nice day,I always try and hit Fiordland mid feb as weather is usually settled then.