Foul weather gear misery

14 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Yeah cornstarch bin liner and Manuka sawdust ….havent tried it yet though ! 

I have vey low opinion of portapotti type units 😬

Lime is the way to go

8 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Lime is the way to go

This is for quick turn around mate not a slow cooker scenario ….can just see the lime eating the liner as some poor sod leaves a trail of crap and sawdust through my boat on the way to heaving it 😳

I hope that Neil warns of the danger of scurvy at the briefing tonight , for any of the piedies that get lost, of course a guide to the edible nuts and berries on Motutapu Rangi and the Noises should be compulsory on board.😉 

• Haha 1

Resurrecting this as I've been looking to get some foul weather gear and liking the look of the Kaiwaka stuff. Just wondering what people have and how they find it for sailing. Are you talking about the Stormforce line or more of the PVC type gear like the Aquaseal? 

22 hours ago, Septic said:

Resurrecting this as I've been looking to get some foul weather gear and liking the look of the Kaiwaka stuff. Just wondering what people have and how they find it for sailing. Are you talking about the Stormforce line or more of the PVC type gear like the Aquaseal? 

I have storm force and it’s 3 years old now but I don’t use it for sailing now just farm work/outdoor work and it’s still good . Not a lot of progress on the sailing kit lately which is a bit of a shame , the prototype set I have has proven really very good .

Thanks, I'll make a follow-up. 

I ended up making the drive to Kaiwaka and went to their factory outlet store, I'd highly recommend if anyone is passing through. There are some really amazing deals, the only issue is they only sell factory seconds and it's pretty limited in range and size. They will usually be able to grab you firsts at full price from the factory though. 

I was really only going there to try stuff on and get a feel for it but ended up coming away with a good set of stuff. 

In the end what I think would've been ideal for me (fishing and coastal sailing) was the Tufflon jacket but they didn't have any seconds in my size and I was to cheap to fork out full price with the deals on some of the other seconds. 

Ended up coming away with an Aquaseal jacket (I think this will get the most use) for $105 and some Stormforce bib overtrousers for $217 which I think will serve my purposes pretty well. I also picked up an Aquaforce jacket with basically no defect for $100 which I can't see myself using very much for now but it just seemed like a steal and I guess at least now I have it if I need it. Defects are barely noticeable and not at all significant. 

• Like 1