Buying a bilge pump

Loads of places are delivering surprisingly quickly with internet orders at the moment. Slight issue if you live on a boat though.

You can use my address if you want, and we can arrange for a contactless pick up.

If it is urgent, I do know of a boat down on the hardstand just along from you with an un-installed bilge pump sitting in a box in the saloon. There is a ladder chained to the cradle with a combination lock, I can give you the combination...

Edit, its not a rule 500 gpm, but it should pump water...

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Crew.org to the rescue.  We have a member in tauranga getting me a pump and mailing it to another member within walking distance of our boat. Yay.

Phew, didn't even have to rush out a buy a house... 👍😉

18 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Industrial strength curls are burning out the pump.

A diaphram bilge/shower pump wouldn't be bothered by even the most industious of curls.   Could be worth a look for next time.

Agreed MCP, either a proper diaphragm pump or a proper strum box. Hair is always an issue for standard centrifugal bilge pumps. If you really MUST use one of those, pick one that you can get at the impellor, and periodically pull the impellor off and remove any foreign matter from the shaft...

20 minutes ago, Fogg said:

In-line filter / gauze?

Thats what a strum box is. Here is one example

Brass Strainer Strum box Bilge 19mm 3/4″ - Pacermarine

Can be plastic, and a multitude of different designs. Standard centrifugal bilge pumps don't work though, need a hose input, and preferably a self priming diaphragm pump. Oh, and this one is not great. If screwed down, it would need tools to clean. Get one that is easy to clean!

I've got one of those jabsco ones 8n front of the fresh water pressure pump, no problem.

But the shower drain pump just replaced is in a very small sump, no extra room at all. Considering my inability to look at a replacement I chose like for like. If/ when this one dies (about 2 years historically) I'll see if there's a suitable diaphragm pump that fits.

Here's a fun thought, most boats have these as bilge pumps, wonder now how my bilge pumps are doing. I normally flick the switch once a month and they make a noise.  Now I'm wondering if they need a closer look.

On bilge pumps I’ve just ordered one of these. Triggered by a feeling that the sea gods were sending me a message after 2 weekends in a row I was first vessel in attendance of slowly sinking boats whose average bilge pumps couldn't keep up with ingress. It has motivated me to upsize. I might even get a second one to give me 8,000 GPH. But hope I never need it. A bit like a life raft. But cheaper.

2159E8DE-3811-4AEF-9CAF-F9FDCEE8E061.png