E books

Need advice. Last Xmas daughters decided I needed to learn to use Spotify.  Now I'm a huge fan. So for the trip north I bought a tablet and signed up to Netflix. I can cast movies to the TV. Not so good but OK.

So now I think i could empty an unused bunk and drop several hundred kilos by shifting to e books.  ( this is a tough one, I like books but weight and space right?)

So 1) can I use the tablet? 2) any other advice, where to look etc...???

Backlit Kindle is the way I went, touch screen so can be a little tricky to get used to when reading on watch, because if you touch side of screen it changes page,so you quickly learn to put it down and pick it up carefully.

Probably the first thing I pack for a voyage now.

Ive also got approximately 4-5000 books that have been collected from the cruising community that I’m happy to share

40 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Need advice. Last Xmas daughters decided I needed to learn to use Spotify.  Now I'm a huge fan. So for the trip north I bought a tablet and signed up to Netflix. I can cast movies to the TV. Not so good but OK.

So now I think i could empty an unused bunk and drop several hundred kilos by shifting to e books.  ( this is a tough one, I like books but weight and space right?)

So 1) can I use the tablet? 2) any other advice, where to look etc...???

Download the Kindle app to your tablet.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16571048011

I used to read on a tablet, but it really messed with my vision. I got horrible eye strain looking at the bright screen for that long. I bought a kindle paperwhite (backlit one) and it's been fantastic. Much easier on the eyes than a traditional LCD screen, and battery life is an order of magnitude better than what you'd get on any tablet.

• Upvote 1

I'd recommend trying it on the tablet and,if you like it but find the physical effects (esp eye strain) offputting, invest in a proper e-reader.

Also recommend Audble (spoken books).  Its a subscription service a bit like Netflix, but huge range of products and no eye strain!

21 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Brilliant all three. I'll download that kindle app next trip ashore.  I already have the library app so will hunt around and figure how to operate it.

Jon, how does one get those books from you to my tablet?

I’ve got an iPad and tried reading from it but it’s hard on your eyes, and hard to hold for hours, but if you could try it first.

as for books I’ve got them on my desktop at home and laptop on the boat, I’ve passed them on via a memory stick or hard drive (needs to be 8Gb or larger, but smallest you get now is 32 I think)

Then you just plug the kindle into laptop, open kindle books file and drag and drop the book file into kindle documents file.

I can copy them and send to you by mail, but then you will have to forward to 100 cruising yachts 😳 I’m currently in Wellington until next week but PM me an address and I’ll send them up, I’ve had them for nearly 10years so no new titles but lots of good older stuff.