Racing and the Plague

This is a bit of a crossover with the covid topic in small talk so if anyone wants to talk about in other than a marine context, please head over there, but our sport involves a lot of close contact with bodies climbing over each other in confined spaces. You cant avoid it- either on the boat, post sailing de-briefs or at the club. There are a lot of unknowns; will we achieve full elimination (unlikely) and if so for how long etc, but judging from the rest of the world it's going to be inevitable that we will all get exposed to covid at some stage. Putting the ifs, shoulds and coulds to one side, what kind of policy are you contemplating when we get back sailing re vaccinations, for your own boat, the boat you sail on and what do you think your club should do? Pre delta I did not give it much thought, but times have changed.

Good questions the Psyche. Personally, and professionally, we're working on the assumption that most of the world population will contract Delta, or some other variant. NZ included. If not this year then next, when we eventually have to rejoin the world.

Plan on seeing more focus on vaccinated vs unvaccinated and various controls related to that? 

In a cruising context it’s a similar but different issue. If you mingle socially particularly on other people’s boat’s it’s hard to know if everyone else onboard is vaccinated.

So if I’m invited to a gathering on another boat - should I stay or should I go?

If it’s just me at this stage my instinct is to go ahead - because if I’m fully vaxxed then I’m protected, so what’s the worry?

But if I’ve got the family inc kids who are <12 and can’t yet be vaxxed then I’m still pondering that… for example they might be mixing with unvaxxed families at school so no different to doing so on a boat?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, waikiore said:

We sail with mixed crews always , and despite that  dont climb over each other -however the point is well made I see a time very very close where we insist on only the fully vaxxed on board particularly for after race tinctures. 

Until I cleaned my glasses I thought you were only allowing fully waxed on board Yikes

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I would prefer my company to be vaxxed, however probably not for the reasons most people think.

I had my jabs, 12weeks apart, finished 2 weeks ago. Apparently that makes me good to go, I want to catch the bug sooner rather than later, the older I get the worse it looks for me. I don't mind a little mitigation strategy, masks and gathering sizes, but I want us all to be out and about and I think a billion a week of life support could be better used elsewhere.

The problem I have with the non-vaxxed is that they will clog up the health system. People who need other treatments are going to miss out and some will die, there is enough stories coming out that say this is already happening.

I believe getting the bug is a given fact eventually. Its about how rapidly it spreads and how severely people get it, having the population vaccinated to a high level will slow down numbers and severity.

That's why I want vaccinated company but I do not fear being with an un-vaccinated person.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, waikiore said:

BOI guy you seem to be misinformed -catching it once wont stop you catching it again

I don't believe that at all, and am sorry if I gave you that impression. I believe catching it is a very good way of boosting your immune system to reduce the impact of further infections. There is ample evidence to support this perspective and that it would be more effective than more jabs.

Liken it to the recent RSV out break, much worse than usual reaction due to lower cases the year before. Let the bug become endemic and let nature deal with it, with a little help from science.

The main point I would make is that you should not necessarily fear unvaccinated people due to Covid, you may however want to shun them for their selfish potential to unnecessarily take up health system space.

Currently we have fear being used as the great motivator, I think peer pressure could be useful too.

I have posted a number of graphs and analysis in the Covid thread, as have others here, along with some decent discussions. If your interested ask the Ed to let you look. Politics are pretty much banned now if that's what was keeping you away.