ANTIFOUL

Hi team. Just a question on Altex No.5 ablative antifouling. I have used it on 5 different keelers over 20 years. My current boat is not a race boat but a Cavalier 26 but I do use it most weekends. I generally haul out every 12 months & apply 2 coats. Upon relaunch I find that the antifoul lasts 4 or 5 months before I start to see a film of slime build up. Initially I used to get in the water & gave the boat a wipe down but found that clouds of antifoul came off. This resulted in the next layer of slime building up that much quicker. Not rocket science really! The last 2 years I haven't wiped down. Upon haul out, there has been some fouling with some barnacles. What are people's thoughts? Leave well alone or wipe off & if so how often? Does anyone go for a lift, wash & back in bearing in mind that this is a cruising boat only? Thanks for your thoughts & advice.

14 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I'm finished with antifouling paint.  I spent about twice as much and put on coppercoat.  Hauled for the first time in 4 years in May. Water blast and wipe with a scotchbrite pad and it's  like new. Financially I'm ahead and the marketing says it's good for 10 years.

Good feedback BP, sounds pretty appealing!

No5 is an ablative antifoul. You wouldn't want to haul and pressure wash with that.

Harder antifoul like Ultra will stand up to regular high pressure washing, but tends to be a little less effective in the first place. Some of the spent oxide layers will still come off, more if you scrub it with scotchbrite or a sanding grid.

41 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I'm finished with antifouling paint.  I spent about twice as much and put on coppercoat.  Hauled for the first time in 4 years in May. Water blast and wipe with a scotchbrite pad and it's  like new. Financially I'm ahead and the marketing says it's good for 10 years.

Thanks BP. Very helpful. I just googled Coppercoat & got Parker Marine Group. Does it need to be ordered from there or do other retailers have it?

6 minutes ago, DoT said:

No5 is an ablative antifoul. You wouldn't want to haul and pressure wash with that.

Harder antifoul like Ultra will stand up to regular high pressure washing, but tends to be a little less effective in the first place. Some of the spent oxide layers will still come off, more if you scrub it with scotchbrite or a sanding grid.

Thanks for the info DoT

Just now, DBLRUM said:

Thanks BP. Very helpful. I just googled Coppercoat & got Parker Marine Group. Does it need to be ordered from there or do other retailers have it?

26 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I do have to jump in and give it a wipe every few months, but just slime, no hard growth so in warm water a pleasant task. Just hope the bureaucrats leave me alone.

Thanks again BP

Re coppercoat, A friend at Sandspit had coppercoat applied, by an yacht painter who did all the prep etc. required for coppercoat. He had been lead to believe the painter was an accredited  Coppercoat tradesman. He later found that when it started to fail within a year of application that he had been misinformed. He contacted the official coppercoat folk. He said they gave him no support, basically, didn't want to know, and very soon washed their hands of the whole deal.

Beware, do your homework, applied properly you can probably be as happy as BP is. Alternately you could end up like my friend, many dollars poorer and having to re-antifoul, and not with coppercoat!

2 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I had a shocking experience with the official applicator and ended up redoing a lot myself. But that is not a reflection on the product. 

I believe they are now defunct. I would simply do it myself next time, but if you are allergic to epoxy I would trust HMC.

Great thanks for the tip BP

16 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I had a shocking experience with the official applicator and ended up redoing a lot myself. But that is not a reflection on the product. 

I believe they are now defunct. I would simply do it myself next time, but if you are allergic to epoxy I would trust HMC.

They may well have been the ones my friend used, he was sure they were approved.

After having used copper coat on my last boat for 12 years (its been on since the 90s) and having done a full redcoat I can say the product  can work but depends on location. Application is easy BUT you need real organisation, 2 people minimum and little wind and not two hot. If applied two thick will sag (I know from attempting a single handed touch up). As the instructions say at least 4 thin coats tack on tack. The Sandspit boat was applied very thick and the results reflected this. On a 31ft boat should take a full day to apply. Would I put it on again?-If you are time rich then yes but does require up keep

9 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

When was this. HMC have only recently picked this up. When i was getting the hull painted in May they had only applied cc to 2 boats

Morning BP Thanks for the referral to HMC. I emailed them last night & Richard rang me this morning. He was very helpful & discussed application techniques. He is going to send me a quote through.