Marine Hot Water Cylinder Recommendations

Our current Gas Califont installation doesn't comply with the CAT1 regs and its time to sort it out. We don't have anywhere good to mount a califont that would comply so I'm thinking its time to change to engine/240V heated hot water cylinder setup.

It'll be connected to Yanmar 3YM30 + likely to be heated with with 240V using excess power from our 1.5KW of solar + 3kw inverter. 

I'm after recommendations of good brands and ones to stay away from. 

Cat 1 regs say that your gas install must comply with current regs. If your gas system complied at the time of installation then it is fine. The Gas regulations are NOT RETROSPECTIVE. There is no requirement to update to todays standards in the current regs, unless you are installing new systems.

10 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Engine driven wouldn't heat the shower at the other end of the boat. Too long a run and the water got cold. Back to califont. 

The trials and tribulations of 60 footer life!

The galley tap will be my furthest fitting from the Hot water cylinder, which isn't ideal. I was thinking I might put a valve just by the galley tap that diverts water from the hot water line back to the water tank (just next to the galley), so at least we don't waste a couple of litres of water waiting for the hot water to come through. 

The califont is only about 1.5m from the galley tap and it still takes about 1L of water before its hot. We always have some sodastream or drink bottles ready to fill to capture it. 

17 hours ago, Island Time said:

Cat 1 regs say that your gas install must comply with current regs. If your gas system complied at the time of installation then it is fine. The Gas regulations are NOT RETROSPECTIVE. There is no requirement to update to todays standards in the current regs, unless you are installing new systems.

This is a tricky one. Technically you are right and that approach has got me through a couple of inspections.

However its the one thing in the boat the inspector was not happy with. For the next inspection, I'm going to need him to go out on a limb over the new window regulations as our boat will not be complying with the new shutter requirements, so I can at least sort the califont out.  

Adrian, I looked at what you are thinking as my califont system was also deemed illegal, (which is ridiculous), in the end I went for a diesel heater and a hot water cylinder.

I went down this path for several reasons:

1. Gives me the option of heating the boat in the future

2. Dont need to run the engines, which is summer I never do unless moving

3. Run it once, sometimes twice a day for about 15 minutes and have hot water all the time.

4. Alot quieter than running engines

5. Bad Kitty told me to

I also overkilled it by allowing the hot water cylinder to be heated by main power... in hindsight there was no need as you just need t turn on the diesel heater when you get on the boat and before you have loaded on the food and ice, you have hot water anyway, so dont recommend doing this... I didnt think it through properly.

Happy to show it to you if you want

17 hours ago, Island Time said:

Matt, I found that when I was having issues with my califont, which was old, that noone would work on it as it didnt comply with current regs. So yes you can pass with what you have, but you cant fix it if it breaks

3 minutes ago, Veladare said:

Adrian, I looked at what you are thinking as my califont system was also deemed illegal, (which is ridiculous), in the end I went for a diesel heater and a hot water cylinder.

3. Run it once, sometimes twice a day for about 15 minutes and have hot water all the time.

5. Bad Kitty told me to

I also overkilled it by allowing the hot water cylinder to be heated by main power... in hindsight there was no need as you just need t turn on the diesel heater when you get on the boat and before you have loaded on the food and ice, you have hot water anyway, so dont recommend doing this... I didnt think it through properly.

if you have a cylinder built to order they can install 2 heating coils, one for the engine's cooling water and one for the Heater.

25 minutes ago, Veladare said:

Matt, I found that when I was having issues with my califont, which was old, that noone would work on it as it didnt comply with current regs. So yes you can pass with what you have, but you cant fix it if it breaks

I just did it myself. Replaced old califont with new, like for like.Doesn't comply but has worked for 25yrs, and no more problematic than the system for the cooker.

Offshore registry.

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

I just did it myself. Replaced old califont with new, like for like.Doesn't comply but has worked for 25yrs, and no more problematic than the system for the cooker.

Offshore registry.

Lots of people do this. Thats why burnsco still sell non compliant califonts. Most boats are never checked.

1 hour ago, Veladare said:

5. Bad Kitty told me to

Definitely interested to know more about this system. I like the future option of boat heating too. I guess that would involve piping and radiators around the boat?

If Bad Kitty said that's the right system, I should probably listen too!

1 hour ago, Adrianp said:

How far away from the engine can you mount the cylinder? Would 2m and 1m above the engine be too far?

try to minimise the height differential, they can be a bugger to bleed the coolant pipes if the tank connections are above the engine.

9 hours ago, Veladare said:

Can you advise what brand/type of diesel heater?  Are you talking about a forced air system?