Deck core repairs - recommendations

Hi,

I am looking at a boat that needs a teak deck removed, and will need some of the core replaced. Im happy to do the grunt work but would rely on professionals to do the core replacement and fibre glassing. Any recommendations on who would be good to approach about this? Upper north island. Thanks

23 minutes ago, Nathan1000 said:

Hi,

I am looking at a boat that needs a teak deck removed, and will need some of the core replaced. Im happy to do the grunt work but would rely on professionals to do the core replacement and fibre glassing. Any recommendations on who would be good to approach about this? Upper north island. Thanks

How big vessel. Looked at removing on a 26ft yrs ago wasnt going to be a cheap exercise.Ended up selling

3 hours ago, Nathan1000 said:

Hi,

teak screwed into deck with a balsa core? This could be a major job and $$$.

You will need to be hauled out and undercover/tented so you also need to think about hardstand costs. If removing the mast(assuming you are talking a yacht) and transporting the boat is not too much of a major, look for a boat builder who has his own shed eg Richard Edlin is just one option, there are a few others. If you are stuck with hardstand, keep away from Auckland city, possibilities are Hutcheson's (Tauranga), Robertsons (Warkworth), Norsand (Whangarei) as a few options

Hey Nathan what sort of boat and what is the core would be my first two questions.

I have dealt with a few new decks- one thing I have learnt is it can get expensive fast. Recently dealt with a boat that had all the teak removed and a layer of meranti ply epoxied over the core- the core that the teak was originally screwed to.

In that case the core should have been removed at the time because the core was sodden from all the screw penetrations -the core in that instance was tanalized ply.

And before you go removing all fittings  remember photos and measurements are important.