Prospeed a brand new Gori?

My Sail drive is coated in prospeed that is still in good nick. 

Fitting a new Gori folder in the next couple of weeks and have been told by more than one passer by that I should run it without anything on it for a season or so before sanding/applying any protective coating to it. I'm an inboard newbie so green as they come in this field... is there science behind this approach or should I take the sail drive back to bare metal and apply the Propspeed system to the whole lot?

Seems sacrilege to sand the new prop 🤣

While I'm on it, exactly how far out from the sail drive should you apply non copper based AF?

Thanks

Gori or not, I have seen a bunch of people claim that they shouldn't coat their new bronze props for x months when new. There's no science behind this; we choose the variations of bronze for our propellers because of how close to inert bronze alloys are in a corrosive environment. When coated with propspeed or other silicone products it will have the best chance of staying in it's zen-like state without material loss. While yes, an uncoated prop will have migration of some alloy components to the outside, this isn't beneficial in yellow metal.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, waikiore said:

-hope you got a good deal on the Gori.

5 hours ago, Jono G said:

The cheap boat costs are adding up.

Why the Gori over say a 3 bladed Volvo prop?

Ex owner of boat purchased a new Gori to replace the one lost between me viewing the boat and paying for it.

12 hours ago, waikiore said:

Dont sand your Gori, just wipe with the solvent and Propspeed from new either way works.

1 hour ago, nath said:

Gori or not, I have seen a bunch of people claim that they shouldn't coat their new bronze props for x months when new. There's no science behind this; we choose the variations of bronze for our propellers because of how close to inert bronze alloys are in a corrosive environment. When coated with propspeed or other silicone products it will have the best chance of staying in it's zen-like state without material loss. While yes, an uncoated prop will have migration of some alloy components to the outside, this isn't beneficial in yellow metal.

Awesome, thanks guys. I couldn't see the reasoning in marring a near perfect surface to try and make it more slippery. 

Past 4 boats all I've had to do is tilt the outboard and corrosion-be-gone!

On 29/09/2021 at 8:40 PM, funlovincriminal said:

How far out from the sail drive should you apply non copper based AF?

Follow what the paint system says. My tin of Ultra 2 says no closer than 30cm to any part of the drive.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, DoT said:

Follow what the paint system says. My tin of Ultra 2 says no closer than 30cm to any part of the drive.

I’ve always gone a bit wider to avoid possibility of interaction with a 50cm x 50cm square around the saildrive leg.

• Upvote 1