Skipper plans to collect stranded Kiwis to sail from Sydney to NZ, avoiding MIQ

8 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Get crew on board - depart berth and anchor off for 5 days to ensure everyone OK. If not go back in. If yes up anchor and depart for real?

Once you anchor before leaving territorial water you have returned and then need to clear out again. I may have done this lots of time to avoid bad weather, stop at an amazing atoll or avoid clearing out on a weekend/wait for Monday or I may not have. But officially it’s not allowed and I wouldn’t want to get caught doing it in either Aus or NZ

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Once you anchor before leaving territorial water you have returned and then need to clear out again. I may have done this lots of time to avoid bad weather, stop at an amazing atoll or avoid clearing out on a weekend/wait for Monday or I may not have. But officially it’s not allowed and I wouldn’t want to get caught doing it in either Aus or NZ

Even more cautious option would be get crew onboard and literally all live on boat in marina for 3-5 days nobody goes ashore - pretend you’re at sea. Then skipper alone steps ashore to check out and off they go. Really minimising the risk.

3 hours ago, Fogg said:

Even more cautious option would be get crew onboard and literally all live on boat in marina for 3-5 days nobody goes ashore - pretend you’re at sea. Then skipper alone steps ashore to check out and off they go. Really minimising the risk.

MIght want a very big holding tank for the heads

Covid-19: Skipper sails past MIQ and into NZ with boatful of stranded Kiwis

Nearly two weeks ago, a geologist, an electrician and a nurse got on a boat, hoping to sail out of Australia and home to New Zealand shores.

“We had four practical people and practical people are what you need on a passage like this,” Mason said.

The voyage itself was “a bit of a slog” as they battled headwinds for much of the trip, Mason said. But that wasn’t too bad, after contending with 4-metre swells and seasickness for the better part of the first four days, Fraser said.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/127144325/covid19-skipper-sails-past-miq-and-into-nz-with-boatful-of-stranded-kiwis

A Taupō man, fed up with the "soul-destroying" MIQ lottery, found a different way to return to New Zealand.

Rob Burgess was part of a group that arrived home on a 56-foot power catamaran on October 22, but it was far from smooth sailing.

The crew had to sail through a major storm to get home. "I hadn't even looked at the forecast. When I got home and told my friends from the navy what we sailed through they couldn't believe we sailed into it."

A swell picked up before the storm set in and one and a half days in one of the non-sailors was seriously dehydrated from being continuously seasick.

"In the daytime it was unsettling, but at least you could see to steer through the waves. At night time it was unnerving. No one could sleep."

As the storm raged on, the portholes started to leak and the cabins became unusable.

"We had been averaging nine knots, but by Wednesday evening we were down to two or three knots per hour."

The swell was taking the Uis Gabeatha towards New Plymouth, on the west coast of New Zealand, but they were required by New Zealand Customs Service to dock in Opua, in the Bay of Islands.

"The sea was like a washing machine. A woman in her 60s was thrown around and broke a rib, the cabins were wet and I hadn't slept for three days. The galley (kitchen) was smashed and unusable.

"A couple of squalls came over us and me and the other engineer were concerned about the boat. We had seen cracks in the hull after we left and we were being smashed."

He said taking care of the sick and/or injured crew was a priority in their decision-making. They were also being tracked by New Zealand Customs Service and had to comply with strict rules.

Just seven days after departing Coffs Harbour, the Uis Gabeatha arrived at Opua on Friday, October 22 at 4am. They completed a 12-day trip in just seven days. The crew cleared Customs and were sent to MIQ for seven days.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/taupos-rob-burgess-sailed-home-from-australia-after-miq-lottery-fail/6B7TXJIZXWUUMSDJQNHEFIGXRA/