Laurie Davidson RIP

Did my first ever Coastal race - AKL - Tga in 83 on a Davidson 35. Pegged the speedo at 15kn for any number of waves. When it went we set the #2 and were poled out still doing 11s. Then owned Archon for a few years. RIP.

Never had one but came close when browsing Kiwi design options a couple of boats ago. And to my eye the Davidson designs - big & small - all had a certain ‘X’ factor that many others just didn’t eg Wright.

and he also designed ferro cement boats in the early 70's!

My pick of his designs is Woody's "Rolling Stones" series of yachts - Flash, Emotional Rescue, Honky Tonk Woman, and later for another client Whichaway.

I did the 2005 Suva race on Paradigm which was a 16.5 cruiser racer to his design

• Upvote 2

Personally Teddy Bear was his best to me which spawned Mr.R, Spitfire, Brunesschi and a few others but Teddy Bear had the cool almost vertical bow and big rig

And throw Fantail into the mix as it was a very pretty boat and unfairly judged against the Ross930's and 88's

• Like 1

Quite a bit of diffeerence between the "small" 52 Dr Who and JJF, and the bigger 55 Starlight and Emotional Rescue.

I had a severe lust after Stormrider 780 when it was on the market last year. Couldn't face the divorce lawyer bills.

• Upvote 1

A Davidson design that never received much recognition in NZ was the Davidson 37. Only a few were built here in the early 80's then Cavalier Yachts Australia (who were already building the D28 with a walk thru transom) bought the moulds and sold them first as the Cavalier 37, and then later (with an extended stern/walk thru) as the Cavalier 395.

Most well known 37 was Kay Cottee's 37, First Lady, which she made the first woman's non stop circumnavigation in 1988

https://www.sea.museum/whats-on/exhibitions/kay-cottee

11 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Almost bought Mr Roosevelt 27 years ago (contract signed and accepted) Still one of the prettiest boats out there along with Riada2

Saw Mr Roosevelt two summers ago in BOI and it was in pristine condition with damn nice sails .

whichway is also a very nice looking boat 

36 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Saw that paradigm in Elephant Cove a few years back -what a good looking boat guessed it was a Davidson.

Yes, she was turbo'd prior to the 05 race, stern extension and a new Bakewell-White Tee keel to replace the conventional fin (which I believe is still sitting in the grass at Robertsons if anyone is looking for a 5T fin). Very powerful yacht with the upgrade. She is now based down south, Mana or Marlborough.