Cellphone or Wifi booster

I started looking at Cellphone boosters and they get real complicated real fast as the signal gained using an external aerial is quickly lost in the cables. 

I ended up going down a different route and have 3G/4G modem that we can share data (free) with off our 2Degrees phones, and then use the 2Degrees Wifi Calling feature which allows you to make calls over wifi networks rather than cell network. When coverage is bad at anchor, we just hoist the modem up the mast in a dry bag, get us 20m of elevation to a decent 3G/4G network but still a strong wifi signal from the modem. 

https://www.2degrees.nz/help/mobile-help/calling-features/wifi-calling

https://www.2degrees.nz/help/mobile-help/sharing/shared-data

I installed one of these aerials on my aerial arch

https://www.cellutronics.co.nz/shop?category=Marine

and bought a 2 deg compatible MiFi modem off Trademe (there is a list on Cellutronics site of suitable modems). Got an extra SIM card for my regular phone account and use that around NZ. In the islands bought a local SIM card on arrival at each country and topped up with local data. All worked very well

image.png.5d9ef82ff78b8f8a9f0907fdf06976f4.png

2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Hey MH is it correct that if i install that external aerial my phone might work?

After the link it all became gobbledygook to me

I am just running broadband thru the aerial- mifi modem, not getting a boost on the cell signals to my phone. I am sure there will be a way to set it up to boost cell signals with the appropriate modem, just like a car set up

Ring/email Zeph at Cellutronics, he is very helpful and can tell you what is possible

Try Wireless Nation, they sell a wifi router that seems to have a much better signal reception than a phone, plus all your devices can connect to it (chrome tv, vesper ais, tablets).

They do a coastguard package deal. You have to pay for the router and the 12v adaptor, but we’ve been very happy with its reception, plus your phone battery lasts a lot longer. 

50 minutes ago, Waa1066 said:

Try Wireless Nation, they sell a wifi router that seems to have a much better signal reception than a phone, plus all your devices can connect to it (chrome tv, vesper ais, tablets).

They do a coastguard package deal. You have to pay for the router and the 12v adaptor, but we’ve been very happy with its reception, plus your phone battery lasts a lot longer. 

Please understand I don't know what all those words mean. I'd just like my phone to work on the mooring.

• Haha 1

https://wirelessnation.co.nz/lifestyle/

have a look at their website, essentially they provide a small receiver (modem) that has a better signal reception (more bars) than your phone and that allows for “more” coverage.

your phone or laptop or iPad can connect to it and that means you get connected to the internet.  

We find that we can be anchored in some bays where the phone signal “bars” is zero or low, but the modem has a connection, so we can continue to be connected to the internet (read the news, email, make calls, etc).

One important point to note - 
if your cell phone has zero bars then a ‘normal’ cell phone call won’t work. 

If the modem has some bars, you can make a call via an internet app like messenger, what’s app, zoom etc.  

This modem enhances  internet connectivity, it’s not a cell phone signal booster, that’s my understanding. 

A bit of cross purposes talk going on here.

Wireless Nation provide internet services using the cellphone networks. So no voice unless you can VOIP (voice over interent. Its a special type of modem.

A cellphone booster takes the existing (maybe weak) cellphone signal, boosts it and then retransmits it so your cellphone can pick it up. No modem.

We have a WN modem for our caravan and we added an external antenna (looks like a shark fin) which proves better coverage in marginal areas. The standard WN modem is a bit marginal unless you have a good signal strength (or the external antenna).

Cheers tB

2 hours ago, Waa1066 said:

https://wirelessnation.co.nz/lifestyle/

have a look at their website, essentially they provide a small receiver (modem) that has a better signal reception (more bars) than your phone and that allows for “more” coverage.

your phone or laptop or iPad can connect to it and that means you get connected to the internet.  

We find that we can be anchored in some bays where the phone signal “bars” is zero or low, but the modem has a connection, so we can continue to be connected to the internet (read the news, email, make calls, etc).

Correct. I’ve had one of these onboard for 2 seasons now. As you say it cannot turn zero signal into a signal but as soon as there is something then it does consistently have at least 1 bar more than either of our cell phones onboard (Voda & Spark). The signal allows me to do work video calls and the family can stream content or do WhatsApp calls from most locations around the Gulf. Abd it gives any guests onboard ‘Fogg wifi’ too.

To make it slightly better again I have just ordered a  6db booster aerial set as pictured here (one for upload one for download). According to a friend with same setup this can further boost the modem reception by another 1 bar in low signal areas.

This seems to be the most pragmatic / affordable setup without spending gazillions.

97C4F950-E88C-4E4F-8BCC-2C41A5EA245C.jpeg