Kayak Fatality

Condolences to family.

We were due to go out Yesterday morning but Metserv forecast wasnt suitable for the vessel.Went for a drive KawaKawa bay and conditions perfect,then went Manukau Harbour and that would of a definte no go 20+ at times 4.1m tides.

Not saying Govt should or shouldnt of relaxed the rules but here we have rescue helicopter crew outside of their bubble,police and most likely some general public helping.

A close working partner of my daughter and SIL, he had recently been doing some renovation building work at our place.  Big, strong guy, very safety conscious at work anyway. 

Unsure what happened, some thought it was a medical event.

Wife and 5 kids not to mention a far wider community left, bereft.

57 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Wife and 5 kids not to mention a far wider community left, bereft.

That is sad.

HT, I'm fairly sure the helicopter crews have been operating anyway. Essential workers have been operating, and flight crews etc have small working bubbles.

I was watching 2 surf-skiers through my telescope on Sunday. One fell out, the other had to stand by while he got sorted. As a bit blowey and a cross chop, they were a fair way out from Stanmore Bay, heading to Manly I think. Anyway, I made a point of watching until they were sorted again. Didn't think it the best weather to be surf-skiing in (then, I'm not a surf ski-er, so I wouldn't know).

1 hour ago, Fish said:

I was watching 2 surf-skiers through my telescope on Sunday. One fell out, the other had to stand by while he got sorted. As a bit blowey and a cross chop, they were a fair way out from Stanmore Bay, heading to Manly I think. Anyway, I made a point of watching until they were sorted again. Didn't think it the best weather to be surf-skiing in (then, I'm not a surf ski-er, so I wouldn't know).

Surf Ski paddlers love fresh downwind conditions as thats what surf skis are designed for - there are a lot of experienced paddlers around who are very comfortable in choppy conditions -getting back on board if you fall out isnt too big a deal and normally the paddler would have a leash and a ph or vhf

• Upvote 1

Surf Ski paddlers, and competent Kayakers are fine in a blow. Much rougher than someone unfamiliar may think. We used to go out in strong onshore conditions to play in the surf, endo's and stuff like that

Hold your breath, tuck into position.

Gary Forrest again, this time carving a radical line on a ...

Canadian Surfski Championships comes to Squamish | CBC News

No place for a sit on top though (Except Surf Skis)

My condolences to the family/s. I wonder what actually happened.

big chunk of water and two completely different events - one that appears to have been a mechanical failure, the other a bar crossing that went wrong, one a canoe, the other a power craft, one a solo, the other a group.

Any water will get you if you are unprepared or get it wrong.

By all accounts it was a easy day for crossing,know a couple who are very experienced claim,lots out on the Manukau.

Been across once and all I can "yes i have been on the tasman" not interested in doing it again thank you.

19 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

big chunk of water and two completely different events - one that appears to have been a mechanical failure, the other a bar crossing that went wrong, one a canoe, the other a power craft, one a solo, the other a group.

Any water will get you if you are unprepared or get it wrong.

A diver died at Cornwallis last weekend as well. Yes, all completely different, unrelated events. It just doesn't draw me to that piece of water.

• Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, Fish said:

It just doesn't draw me to that piece of water.

If you ever get invited to do trip on the Manukau in a fizzy,well worth going on a good day.Cornwallis around puponga pt towards the heads.The scenery stunning.Acroos,short of the bar to the lighthouse to tipitai head (cake island,within 10 m of the shoreline and you are in 30m+ but shallows real quick,along towards mako pt.and back to cornwallis . The rest is just mud and channels.  Been on the muddy a few times (harbour fishing) seals in winter orca in spring late summer get Dolphins.

Tipitai head. There was a book writthen by Mavis Brambly? sea cockies of the manukau. The use to hunt sharks and tipitai was or still maybe a breeding ground for whites.

I know huia bank great area late January for Bronze whalers,bronzies on one side while catching snapper on the other.9m muddy water.

• Upvote 1

I grew up holidaying at the family bach at Te Tora, a group of batches on the Waiuku inlet across the water from glenbrook. We had instilled a healthy respect for the harbour. 

strong tides, strong winds don't mix well with shallow water, moving channels,  sandbanks and mud

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Deep Purple said:

I grew up holidaying at the family bach at Te Tora, a group of batches on the Waiuku inlet across the water from glenbrook. We had instilled a healthy respect for the harbour. 

strong tides, strong winds don't mix well with shallow water, moving channels,  sandbanks and mud

Last summer they had a visitor at Te Toro ramp.A  mid size Gt White