90mm o.d carbon tube wanted

21 hours ago, 44forty said:

Go on …be the first 1020 with a prod ! 

sorry I don’t have a piece of section though 

Why would I want a prod on a 1020?

Gennakers are just so hard to deal with on a family cruiser, there's all that pole carrying and clipping/unclipping, uphauls, downhauls, tweakers, wine glasses, death rolls and Chinese gybes.... oh wait... that's Spinnakers 😅

• Haha 1

I've got one close to your requirements. 83mm OD and 3.5 wall thickness as best I can measure. 3m long. Came from Kilwell some years ago, but didn't get used for the project I had on the go then, and is a bit short and a bit beefy for a 1020 pole.

And yes, carbon poles are allowed on a 1020 - or at least I think that was the committee decision about 10 years back.

It's for a deck mounted prod, so I could build it up where it slips through the ring. Most likely unstayed so 3.5mm may be a bit on the thin side? Can't recall the thickness of the one on my 930 but it was pretty beefy. What kind of length is it?

4 hours ago, DoT said:

I've got one close to your requirements. 83mm OD and 3.5 wall thickness as best I can measure. 3m long. Came from Kilwell some years ago, but didn't get used for the project I had on the go then, and is a bit short and a bit beefy for a 1020 pole.

And yes, carbon poles are allowed on a 1020 - or at least I think that was the committee decision about 10 years back.

Actually was never a committee decision...  The rules don't seem to specify a material. So a few have gone and got carbon kite poles.

Interestingly there is no specified material for mainsails either.... just a minimum cloth weight. So you could build a carbon or kevlar mainsail... but it would be no lighter and very expensive! As the likes of 3Di / 3DL / Stratus cloth weight varies in different parts of the sail I don't think you could make a mainsail this way under the current class rules. Hence the current rules result in Dacron mainsails which to be fair are probably a great option.

Perhaps not a committee decision, but I remember it being discussed at a committee meeting and generally accepted that it wasn't prohibited. Cameron, do you happen to know how much lighter a carbon pole would be than alloy?

Can't really give a weight as there are big differences even between alloy poles depending on wall thickness and end fittings used. Weight difference for a carbon pole would be reasonably significant from a handling point of view.

FLC... wouldn't a deck mounted pole be a PITA? Hard to access anchor locker, trip hazard etc... ???

Wouldn't it be better to make something more like the attached image but somehow make the splash/bow wrap attach to the toerail? I reckon if you made a nice product (which judging on your other work wouldn't be a problem) it would be quite saleable!

Key requirements to me would be...

* Easily removable

* Can use anchor while attached

* minimal work to fit (creating an attachment for the bobstay is easy enough.)

Next question would be how long? 1020's get a fair amount of weather helm... so a long prod and moving area forward could help. Would you also want to set up another tackline at say half way out the prob for a zero?

Are there any existing classes where their gennakers would fit giving a cheap used sail supply option?

706359C8-7C0E-4241-83C1-98EDB60AABCF_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Really aiming for simplicity and least modifications to a class boat possible.

Had a deck mounted one on the 930 and had to remove anchor locker lid to use it whilst cruising but the 1020 split lid makes it a lot more practical. Prod will be removable with a single thumb turn screw at the back then just slips backwards out of the stem ring. While viat out of the water I'm adding a Bob stay tube to the knuckle but a heavy enough section prod can survive without one. (We had 19.7kts in 35kts on the 930 and ran a zero pretty tight with no breakages). However the 1020 is a fair bit heavier!

I've already modified the stem head fitting to take prod and keep anchor off stem.

Whilst anchor locker out and new bulkhead being made I'll engineer a bit of compression resistance into the rear end.

This really is just a cruiser setup! Hate poles and rolls with kids and wives.

20211022_153200.jpg

20211022_153135.jpg

20211022_153127.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2