Sealing the bow around a canting prod

Whats the best way? Boat is a Thompson with a canting prod. What’s the best permanent or temporary solution for sealing the hole somewhat? We have a coastal delivery coming up, in which we may want to use the prod, then just in general?

I’ve seen various rubber boots, seem to be either stuck to the hull at the base of the prod, or a rubber boot that stays on the end of the prod. Are either of these suitable for a canting prod, what are they called and who sells them?

I haven’t seen the boat yet, so I don’t have photos or specifics. 

Yeah neopreme boot is your best bet, then an additional cover to go on when its retracted. On Waka we had a fiberglass cover that we put on when it was retracted but you could use material. If its got a good drainage system for the locker then it may not be too much of an issue.

Used a rudder bearing with a few shims removed on a carbon 40ftr with retractable canting sprit in the States had an internal 3/4 high bulkhead with Harken track mounted on top to control the aft end of the sprit- worked well.

13 hours ago, mattm said:

Whats the best way? Boat is a Thompson with a canting prod. What’s the best permanent or temporary solution for sealing the hole somewhat? We have a coastal delivery coming up, in which we may want to use the prod, then just in general?

I’ve seen various rubber boots, seem to be either stuck to the hull at the base of the prod, or a rubber boot that stays on the end of the prod. Are either of these suitable for a canting prod, what are they called and who sells them?

I haven’t seen the boat yet, so I don’t have photos or specifics. 

I have heard of silicone rubber reducers that are used for intercooler/turbo induction lines being used for this . 

they come in a shed load of different sizes and are a bit more durable than neoprene . Boy racer shops are a good source of them so should be plentiful in chch ! 

A1575D37-EE0C-4BF2-B16C-5BE790085AFE.jpeg

Thanks for the reply’s,  I’ll keep them in mind. The drainage system looks pretty good, but from what I’ve been told, not perfect. I guess it’ll only be an issue on coastal races, as there’s no swell in Waikawa, and seldom waves that would seem big enough to be an issue. 
Rats, I’m struggling to picture how you used the rudder bearing, maybe it’ll make sense once I’m looking at the setup. 

Splat, Waikawa has a new boat that I’ll have some level of involvement with, yet to be determined, other than the delivery to start with.